Pouch Size vs Portion Size AND Cravings

dazeymae
on 7/9/14 4:29 am

Hi,

I had RNY on 3/20/14.  I was 292 at the beginning of the liquid diet and am now at 225lbs.  I had my first follow up at 5 weeks and have missed the last two appointments (unusually flakey).  I do have an appointment this Monday.  I know I am at a stage where I need to increase my portion size.  I am struggling with measurements.  For some reason the food addict in me is trying to rationalize that I need to measure in fluid ounces and if I eat 6oz of something how much is it really when it goes into my stomach.  Has anyone else had this happen.  Some times I feel I am not eating enough at meal time which is making me become too hungry before the next meal.  I either eat too much at the next meal or make a bad choice.  I am also starting to get cravings.  I do have to admit that I am not as diligent on the protein as I need to be.  I can't find a protein bar that I can stomach on a regular basis, nor a protein drink.  I do OK with the premiers and occasionally break down and by a muscle milk as a fast food option.  I also don't seem to have the energy that I think I should have.  I could easily sleep an entire day away.  Can I get some menu ideas for 16 weeks.  I have a 6 month menu and find info about menus for puree stages and the transition but am struggling on menus for where I am at right now.  I feel like I need to make every bite count.  Fortunately I have not had any problems so far such as dumping syndrome or excess vomiting.  I am also having trouble drinking enough fluids.  I am single and not used to paying attention to the way I take care of myself and have concerns about falling back into bad, unhealthy habits.

angeleigh
on 7/9/14 4:54 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

for the first few months i used a scale, in grams to measure my food, then I tracked it in Myfitnesspal.com. PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN! You should be getting in 60-80grams of protein a day. between 50-80 grams of carbs, and I think at 3 months out i was eating about 900-1000 calories based on my plan. I ate a lot of chili from wendys, greek yogurt, cheese sticks with lunch meat wrapped around it, protein shakes(most bars are hard for a while) I buy the GNC lean shakes, premade, in chocolate or vanilla, to me the premade ones are easier for me to drink. there are many easy things you can make for just you, tuna fish, eggs(i love hard boiled) chicken, turkey, chili, hamburger with no bun. I have a pinterest that has many things on it you can check out, http://www.pinterest.com/slgreen46/gastric-bypass-stuff/

As far as the water, Plain water is still hard for me sometimes. So i drink powerade zero or use one of those add in things like Milo. Also make sure your taking your vitamins. http://asmbs.org/resources/integrated-health-nutritional-gui delines

Here are some really good websites to check out!

http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

mobailey68
on 7/9/14 5:27 am
RNY on 02/24/14

I am sure that everyone's plans are different. My surgeon wants us to stay between 500-700 calories from 5 weeks and beyond as long as you are getting in the required protein and felling well and energetic. To do that I eat 2 ounces of dense protein along with 2 ounces of a non-starchy veggies for lunch and dinner. Breakfast I eat 1/2 cup of non-fat Greek yogurt with 2 ounces of berries along with a half scoop of Isopure protein powder mixed with crystal light ( at first I notice the taste of the protein but now it is just like drinking crystal light). I do eat 2 snacks, the first is usually a cheese stick and the other half of the scoop of protein powder. The second is another cheese stick and an ounce of jerky. I make it a point to get my fluid in, the minimum is 96 ounces, whatever it takes. This plan gets me a minimum of 80 grams of protein.

I am 4 1/2 months out and have not really had any cravings or hunger. I attribute that to my pouch but also to the fact that I do not eat simple carbs. Not eating the carbs helps keep the cravings at bay. My carbs are usually around 30 grams, mostly from the dairy and veggies, sometimes sugar-free popcicles.

I have not had any issues with fatigue, that must be difficult to deal with. What has worked for me is to set a schedule and keep to it as much as possible. I never leave my house without having what I need with me. It has worked well so far.

After a year my surgeon says to stay under 1000 calories until maintenance. 

I wish you the best and if you want some protein ideas for lunch or dinner add me as friend and I will get those to you.

Mo

HW:332 (12/17/13) SW:282 (2/24/14) GW:132 CW:164 (12/19/14) TWL:168

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 490 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 552 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 535 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 241 views
Recent Topics