Time off?

Kaydensmomma10
on 7/8/14 10:54 pm - Columbus, OH

Hey guys I was just wondering how long everyone was off from work after RNY? My employer doesn't offer any type of paid leave, so I wanted to plan ahead and save what I need for time off.

kbb0185
on 7/8/14 10:59 pm
RNY on 07/15/14

I am taking off 4-6 weeks, per my surgeon, but I have heard of many people going back sooner.  Do you get Disability or anything through the state?  That is what I am doing, I am using FMLA with my employer, and collecting temporary disability.

Kaydensmomma10
on 7/8/14 11:12 pm - Columbus, OH

Ouch that seems like forever to me, but I can't pu**** either. I'm a pediatric home health nurse, I don't lift my patient only roll so maybe I won't have to be out that long. What do you mean disability through the state? I guess I'm unaware. My work literally offers nothing, which really stinks for me.

kbb0185
on 7/8/14 11:16 pm
RNY on 07/15/14

Yeah, I don't get anything paid through my employer at all either.  I just use FMLA to hold my job while I am out.  We have short term disability (TDI) that we pay into with the state, so I can collect that while I am out.  What state are you in?

Kaydensmomma10
on 7/8/14 11:18 pm - Columbus, OH

oh I see! I am in ohio

Valerie G.
on 7/9/14 2:37 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Short-term disability would be what you might get paid for, but see if you can possibly sign up for Afflack.  They pay you for illness, time in hospital, etc.

I would plan on at least a month, though.  It wasn't the lifting that was such a problem.  It took a good 5 weeks to shake off the anesthesia funk out of me.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

gtrdyfor50
on 7/8/14 11:18 pm
RNY on 10/08/13
I had my surgery on a Tuesday and was back at work the next week on the Thursday.

Kaydensmomma10
on 7/8/14 11:24 pm - Columbus, OH
Wow that's fast. What kind of work do you do?
gtrdyfor50
on 7/8/14 11:37 pm
RNY on 10/08/13
IT work in an office, no travel, just lots of meetings, etc.

angeleigh
on 7/8/14 11:18 pm - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I was working in Home health when I had RNY, I was not allowed to go back to real wor****il 6 weeks due to not being able to lift anything more then 10 pounds. If you have a desk job you can go back at about 2 weeks, but anything that might involve lifting or trying to move something more then 10 pounds might hurt. You might want to talk with your doctor about what he requires. Mine wouldnt sign the paperwork releasing me back to wor****il 6 weeks.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 386 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 443 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 335 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 341 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 152 views
Recent Topics