lightheaded and dizzy when standing up

jaifra78
on 7/20/14 2:34 am
RNY on 04/16/14

don't know if this is related to the surgery or not but when I go from a squat or bent over position to standing I get extremely dizzy and feel like I am going to pass out and it takes a few minutes before I am feeling well enough to move. I will ask my surgeon about this probably tomorrow when the office is open, does this happen to anyone or does anyone know of something that would cause this? I am eating around 550 to 750 calories and between 70 and 100 grams of protein and around 70 oz of water. 

Karen518
on 7/20/14 2:51 am

It happens to a lot of people.   Definitely talk to your doctor about it.  Could be low blood pressure.  Are you on blood pressure meds?  Make sure you rise slowly and have something handy to steady yourself.  Also could be related to dehydration.  If you are exercising or outdoors a lot, you might want to bump your fluids.  Hope you get a speedy resolution.

Lessoflinda
on 7/20/14 5:59 am - NY

This happened to me a lot for almost a year after surgery.  Only in the morning and in my case I'm sure it was my low b.p.

Linda, Endwell, NY RNY 11/5/12

Ehbeagle
on 7/20/14 6:01 am - Virginia beach, VA

Could be low blood pressure.  I had the same thing happen.  You can go to grocery store or pharmacy and check your pressure if they have a machine while you wait to see your doc.

jaifra78
on 7/20/14 9:55 am
RNY on 04/16/14

thanks, I think it probably is my blood pressure and hope it isn't anything to serious. I will call my surgeon and see what she has to say about it.

tdodge
on 7/20/14 10:56 am - Rogers, AR

I had that problem happen to me.  Mine was low blood sugar.  I had to break up my eating to every 3 hrs to maintain a steady flow of nutrients. 

selhard
on 7/20/14 12:51 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Recommend monitoring your blood pressure.  My blood pressure stabilized being off all bp meds within three to six months post op.

andy M.
on 7/20/14 2:15 pm - fairfax, VA
with

I just had THE EXACT same problem you are having!!!! I had gastric bypass done exactly 2 months ago today, and a couple weeks ago i would get out of bed or stand up from sitting in a chair or even bend over and stand back up and i would become EXTREMELY dizzy. Almost to the point where i passed out. I went to the doctors to see what was going on, and it was my blood pressure. My blood pressure was 92/58. I almost passed out when i heard those numbers, because before surgery, even with my blood pressure medicine my blood pressure was always around 130/85. But thanks to gastric bypass i am no longer on blood pressure medicine!!! and now my blood pressure is 110/70 almost every single time. So if your taking blood pressure medication, it might be working to much now that your losing weight!!!

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 309 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 326 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 281 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 447 views