Surgeon just changed me from VSG to RNY - a little nervous!

Christine S.
on 8/2/14 3:53 am, edited 8/2/14 4:52 am

Hi all!

I am completely new to the RNY forum as up until two day ago, I had been planning for a sleeve, but things have changed...

I had posted about a week ago in the VSG forum that my Dr was requiring I have a manometry test. It's an up-your-nose-down-your-throat-with-a-rubber hose-test (kidding..it's a probe not a hose. :) ) that measures your swallowing ability. This is apparently because the sleeve causes a higher pressure area and you need to be able to swallow "hard" enough or you could have issues with reflux, gerd and vomiting.

I had the test yesterday (I had it years ago when I had a lapband so I knew what I was in for. The band was a disaster and it was taken out in less than a year...) The results this time showed that I did not "pass" and probably never should have had the band way back when either. I "failed" 3 out of 10 swallows and a 4th the liquid came back up. Soooooo....now Dr Marema would like to change my surgery to bypass instead of the sleeve. I love the doctor and trust him in his judgment but for some reason I am totally freaked out by bypass. It makes no sense since the sleeve would have been removing my stomach while bypass takes nothing out. I guess I have it in my head that bypass has more "issues" than VSG? . Anyway, just having a little issue with plans changing and looking for opinions.

That's all!!

Christine

Louise1974
on 8/2/14 7:09 am

It sounds like your doc is making a good decision but it would have totally freaked me out too.  I had RNY and am doing fine.  i don't know the complication rates to compare but I have read over and over that the rny is the gold standard because it has been around the longest and has the most research.  And, if you really are a bad candidate for the vsg then your opptions are pretty much no surgery or rny and no surgery probably has alot of complications. 

WhydidIwait
on 8/2/14 9:05 am
RNY on 06/05/14

I felt the same way.  I'm now two months post surgery with the RNY and I've had no GE reflux symptoms any more.   I'm sure your doctor is making the right decision for you

Christine S.
on 8/2/14 10:17 am

Thanks so much for the input!! Still nervous but I'm sure it will be fine. :) 

karenp8
on 8/2/14 10:35 am - Brighton, IL

It's time to trust your doctor who has years oif experience. The RNY is really the best and only choice for you. I had RNY nearly 2 years and have had absolutely no issues like most people here. I have lost 140 pounds and have weighed the same weight for the last year. I lost 100 percent of my excess weight. I have been obese my whole life,even as a child and went from a tigh size 24 to a size 0 or 1. My blood sugars,cholesterol and blood pressure are now all normal too. Knee and back pain that used to be daily occurrences are now a thing of the past. I am thankful for my surgery every day. You will be too!

Ood

NYMom222
on 8/3/14 12:44 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I do not have GERD but I now I have heard my Doc say if patients have it he recommends RNY, and I have read the sleeve can make GERD worse.

"Another option for the morbidly obese GERD patient is a gastric bypass surgery. This procedure works by decreasing the amount of acid and gastric contents available to reflux into the esophagus. Of course, it also imposes weight loss, which helps GERD as well."

from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2886454/

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

KLNRDH
on 8/3/14 1:09 am

I had the same problem; I wanted the sleeve and had the same test; my surgeon said I had dis motility (sp) of the esophagus. He then left the choice up to me....  I chose RNY because he was concerned I'd have trouble swallowing. I have been fine so far. You'll be fine :)

Kris N RDH    

Age: 45  5' 4 1/2" HW: 298  SW: 261  GW: 150    RNY:  4/17/14 Dr Brams-Mass

Christine S.
on 8/3/14 2:16 am

Thanks for all the info! I am sure it will all be fine. Just wasn't prepared mentally for RNY but I guess it's one in the same. :) 

Kris - good to know someone else has been there!  From your "ticker" looks like you have done fine. : )

Thanks!

Christine

karin602
on 8/3/14 4:49 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Both are major surgeries done as a tool to help us lose weight. I chose run because of the likelihood of helping my diabetes. I have gotten off all diabetic meds. Never had a gerd problem so can't speak to that. Just relax and enjoy the success you will have. 

Karin

DeafNatural
on 8/3/14 5:05 am - Winter Haven
RNY on 08/06/14

I'm having surgery with Dr. Marema on Wednesday. My mom keeps pushing the VSG but the doctor and I both decided RNY would be best for me. You'll be fine. If he is doing the laparoscopic procedure then the healing time is a lot quicker and there's a lower chance for hernias.

High: 385 lbs     Start: 376 lbs           Current: 328.5 lbs.         Goal: 125 lbs

“The beautiful journey of today can only begin when we learn to let go of yesterday.”  -Steve Maraboli

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 413 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 499 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 481 views