RNY. as treatment for GERD?

cpower100
on 8/3/14 12:32 pm

I have had GERD since childhood and am currently 100lbs overweight.  My GI doctor. Recommended me for the RNY surgery and the weight center agrees that rny will be an excellent treatment for my severe GERD as well as a means to finally help me lose the weight I have been carrying since pregnancy.  Does anyone have experience with RNY as a treatment for GERD with the weight loss as an bonus?  I am wondering how successful the surgery will be in eliminating my GERD symptoms?

Buckets
on 8/3/14 12:33 pm - Southwest, IA
RNY on 04/16/14

I had RNY in April under similar cir****tances.  My primary complaint was GERD with terrible acid reflux.  My gastroenterologist recommended RNY as a cure for GERD and to help me lose weight.  My GERD was actually caused or at least made much worse by a stomal stenosis from a Vertical Banded Gastroplasty I had in 1987.

I have NO acid reflux at all now!!I can lie down at night and not wake up choking on acid.  No more bringing up nearly every meal.  No constant pain and no more proton pump inhibitors after being on them 10 years.  Bonus....I am losing weight too!

VBG in 1987:  HW 267      Recent HW:  242  SW 196 Revision to RNY on April 16, 2014.

NYMom222
on 8/3/14 3:06 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I do not have GERD but I now I have heard my Doc say if patients have it he recommends RNY.

This is from the national Institute of health website:

"Another option for the morbidly obese GERD patient is a gastric bypass surgery. This procedure works by decreasing the amount of acid and gastric contents available to reflux into the esophagus. Of course, it also imposes weight loss, which helps GERD as well."

from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2886454/

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

basilmk
on 8/3/14 3:24 pm, edited 8/3/14 9:12 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I had a longstanding case of GERD/Barrett's Espophogus. It wasn't treated at all ( I was part of the Maalox for lunch bunch) and when diagnosed, I started aggressive meds which I too****il six weeks after my RNY.

My doctor had wanted me to quit the meds earlier but I was so worried about continuing problems that we compromised on every other day.

Six months out and I've lost 100 lbs and have no gastro problems.  I recently had an endoscopy and, while my Barrett's will always be present, it is inactive and a non-issue.  I've been completely off meds for many months now and feel great.

While it was one of the contributing factors in choosing RNY, my primary goal was to increase my overall health. Now, GERD is an added benefit!  

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 8/4/14 12:37 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I had horrific GERD before RNY and I have been GERD free since surgery.  No more Nexium :), no more waking up at night, no more burn.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Eggface
on 8/4/14 1:33 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

I had severe GERD pre-WLS. Suffered with it from the time I was a kid till 35. TMI but it was so bad acid (and often food) would come up into my nose and throat at night causing me to choke... add to that severe sleep apnea and I was a time bomb. My GERD was gone the day I had surgery! 6/20/2006 and so far so good.

Hope yours it resolved.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

MsBatt
on 8/5/14 3:33 am

Well, I'd think the first thing would be to determine WHY you have had GERD since childhood. One major cause of GERD is a hiatal hernia. I read up on these when my SIL developed terrible GERD several years AFTER her RNY. Turns out, about half the population is BORN with one! Also, people who become morbidly obese frequently develop one. Repairing the hernia nearly always cures the GERD.

As far as WLS is concerned the RNY is the go-to form for treating GERD. However, there's no guarantee that the RNY will cure your GERD. For some people it does, for some it doesn't, and for some, they never have GERD until after their RNY. (Like my SIL.)

Also, there's no guarantee that other forms of WLS will cause you to develop GERD, or for it to get worse after surgery. (The Band's an exception---the Band is infamous for causing GERD.) I had such bad GERD pre-op that most nights I slept sitting up, but since my DS back in December of 2003---yes, 10+ years ago!---my GERD is completely GONE.

What I'm saying is find the cause of the GERD, and if it's a hernia get it fixed. If that cures your GERD, and you still want to have WLS, then research ALL your options (Band, Sleeve, RNY, DS) and choose the one best suited to how you want to spend the rest of your life.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 60 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 506 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 580 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 302 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 100 views
Recent Topics