Long-term Success?

Bagspacked
on 8/9/14 1:15 pm

Does weight reduction surgery work long term? I only know 5 people that have had RNY. All of them lost about 70% of their excess body fat the first year, then spent the next year putting about 90% of that back on. I am just one month into my journey; hoping to get my surgery in November. But this abundance of long-term lack of success is discouraging. My doctor assures me that by far and large, most people keep the weight off. But I can't help but notice that I only know failures and zero successes. So I have carefully analyzed why my friends have failed at this. It seems that they all snacked, some almost non-stop; and none of them added exercise. So I can see that with this new body comes control over your between-meal appetite, and some form of calorie burning must need to be added. But I need to know, is this going to work? Is there a reasonably high percentage of RNY success stories out there? Is there really hope?

poet_kelly
on 8/9/14 2:20 pm - OH

I'm surprised you know so many people that gained 90% of their weight back.  That is unusual, I think.  Yeah, it can happen.  But the statistics show RNY is pretty successful for most people.  I think the average is that most people only regain 15% of their weight, which is far different than the people you know.  And it's especially unusual to gain so much back in the second year after surgery - many people continue losing weight for 18 months or longer.

But yeah, if you snack almost non-stop, you probably will gain weight back.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bagspacked
on 8/9/14 2:30 pm

Whew... That's encouraging. I am moving forward with this and determined to be successful. Thanks

nataliperez1983
on 8/9/14 9:30 pm

Well i can speak for myself as far as that. I originally lost 140 lbs within the first 1.5 yr now im at 2.5yr mark and ive regained maybe 15-20 lbs and thats w me working out 4-5 days a week cardio plus strength training...its all a mind game nomatter what surgery you had you ultimately have to decide what goes in that pouch

chulbert
on 8/9/14 10:02 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Do you actually know they lost 70% then regained 90% of that?  Or are you just guessing because it seems like "a lot"?

Those numbers are not anywhere near what I've seen and read.

Bagspacked
on 8/10/14 2:05 am

Those are approximations. One GUI started at 330 and went down to 240, and is now back to 320. Another started at 440, got down to about 240, and is at 430 now. Another started at about 250 went down to about 160, and now is at 220. They are husband, wife, and son in the same family. So I can assume they all have common traits, bad habits and are probably coenablers.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/10/14 4:23 am - OH

I suspect the same thing. Their experience is NOT common.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

gbsinsatx
on 8/10/14 1:35 am - San Antonio, TX

You are as successful as you choose to be! I have noticed that most people who have weight loss surgery do not allow themselves to realize their full potential and revert back to old habits. Weight loss begins in the mind, not the stomach.

Please see my profile page if interested. I detail my experience with RNY there.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Bagspacked
on 8/10/14 2:14 am

Thank you! I read your profile page. You are very inspirational. We need to hear of your tips and success. Thanks.

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/14 2:38 am
On August 10, 2014 at 8:35 AM Pacific Time, gbsinsatx wrote:

You are as successful as you choose to be! I have noticed that most people who have weight loss surgery do not allow themselves to realize their full potential and revert back to old habits. Weight loss begins in the mind, not the stomach.

Please see my profile page if interested. I detail my experience with RNY there.

You are so correct.  Addiction to food is as real as any other addiction.  If food is more important than health, one will eat through the surgery.  If food numbs the pain of a possible heart attack or stroke or worse, one will eat through the surgery.  I believe the rate of success is around sixty percent for WLS patients.  It is all in the mind.  The surgery is just a tool.

Most Active
Recent Topics