5 days post OP with a few questions

GodsChildII
on 8/9/14 11:11 pm - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

So I am five days post OP and I have a few questions that I am hoping that all of you will be able to help with. First, my sleep pattern seems to be all screwed up. I don't know if it's unrelated to surgery or one of the complications of surgery. I have a hard time falling asleep and I toss and turn until finally getting up around 3:00 a.m. Each morning.

my other question is about hot flashes. I had hot flashes before but NOTHING like this! One minute I am shivering cold and the next minute I am on fire (literally). Again, I don't know if this is a result of the surgery or not and moreover what to do about it.

finally, I know this is a strange question, but I have to ask. How long should it be before I have a "normal" bowel  movement? I had a terrible time on Friday but it was all water. I keep feeling like I should have had a "normal" BM by now. I don't know if that is even realistic given I am not eating solid foods.

thanks in advance for your help!

karin602
on 8/10/14 1:03 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Your sleep pAtterns may be altered a bit especially if you are resting or napping during the day. As for hot flashes I didn't have them but it is probably related to hormonal changes from your surgery. Talk to the doc office and see if there is something you can do to alleviate them or at least make them less I tense. Bowel movements are not going to be the same as before surgery for a bit because you are probably on a fairly liquid or soft food regimen. You might add in some fiber powder to your shakes. Miralax is good. The doc sent me home with it. Even at just over a year out there are times when I need a little help. Milk of magnesia does wonders fairly quickly. Jus****ch out for constipation. Best way is to get in all of your hydration.if it becomes particularly problemsome contact your doc office. You can become impacted and may end up at the Dr. Not fun!

Karin

GodsChildII
on 8/10/14 2:54 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

Thanks so much for the reply. Right now I am having no problems having a BM it's jus****er which I know can't be normal. I will defiently call my doctors office first thing in the morning about help with the hot flashes. It is totally out of control!

Jenn S.
on 8/10/14 3:04 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

It took me about a month I think, for my sleep to get back to normal.  My surgeon told me this was normal and it would level itself out.  I did not have hot flashes, but we store hormones in our fat cells and as we lose weight quickly the hormones dump.  So it is not surprising that you would have hot flashes, and I would guess that it is temporary but I would talk with your surgeon about it.

GodsChildII
on 8/10/14 3:40 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

Thanks Jenn S what you say seem logical. I plan on calling my surgeon office tomorrow to talk about it.

Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 67 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 361 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 359 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 303 views