Not satisfied after meals

Showbiz7757
on 8/13/14 3:23 am

I'm 8 months postop and I'm finding that I'm not satisfied after my 4-6 oz protein meal. Any advice? 

poet_kelly
on 8/13/14 4:40 am - OH

When you say four to six ounce protein meal, do you mean that you are eating four to six ounces of just protein?  I would add a couple ounces of vegetables, to give you more volume and some fiber without adding a lot of fat or calories.  What does your surgeon's meal plan say you should be eating at this point?  At eight months out, I was eating about a cup of food at a time.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Showbiz7757
on 8/13/14 5:10 am

My doctor has said 6 oz is all I should be eating and has not said anything about veggies. Yes, I'm just eating meat and protein shakes.

poet_kelly
on 8/13/14 8:48 am - OH

Well, protein shakes usually don't keep you feeling full for long.  And if you eat six ounces of protein three times a day, that would mean you are getting around 120 grams of protein a day (one gram of meat, poultry or seafood has about seven grams of protein in it), which is probably more than you need.  So if you eat a little less protein and add in more fiber, you would probably feel full longer.  But if your surgeon's plan says not to eat any veggies and not to eat more than six ounces, maybe you want to call him and ask what to do.  It just makes no sense to me to be eating nothing but meat and protein shakes for eight months.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jazzycatz
on 8/13/14 5:32 am - Joppa, MD

Wow! 8 months out and still just meat and protein shakes?? I'm impressed. And wondering how in the world you are managing to go to the bathroom with no fiber in your diet. You are taking your vitamins and everything I am guessing?

When does your plan suggest you add vegetables and such? As you get further and further out you will probably find yourself needing to add a few veggies or a little fruit. As a bit of filler that doesn't have the fat or calories you don't need.

And as time passes you might also need to take a look at your protein shake comsumption. Since they are liquid and going right through your pouch as you get further out they are not going to keep you as full for as long as they do. Then they become liquid calories. You might always consume one a day or a few a week to help with your protein or you might find you can do without.

Showbiz7757
on 8/13/14 6:12 am

:) Miralax

karenp8
on 8/13/14 6:35 am - Brighton, IL

At eight months out I too was eating nearly a cup of food. I would give your doctor a call to see what they recommend.

Sherrie P.
on 8/13/14 12:46 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

Good lord - I would be miserable let alone unsatisfied!!  LOL

How is your weight loss/distance to goal?

I agree - gotta bulk up with some veggies at this point!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Showbiz7757
on 8/14/14 3:04 am

I have 50 more pounds to lose before skin removal surgery and hope to lose that by December.

tdbull
on 8/13/14 1:44 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Call your surgeon or NUT and verify what you should/can eat 8 months out. I was eating everything by then. I agree with other posters, start adding in veggies, salad, etc.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Most Active
Recent Topics