I SURVIVED.... I AM HEALING.... I AM HERE (Long Story with Pics)

Kenyatta W.
on 8/13/14 12:22 pm, edited 8/13/14 1:46 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 01/07/13

I have been through so much since the beginning of July.... Here is my story

Well I've been in pain since the beginning of July under my left breast bone. Every time I ate or drank anything, excruciating pain. I thought that maybe it was just trapped gas but I knew it was not normal to be in pain when I ate or drank anything so I contacted my surgeon that I am now seeing for yearly follow ups (had surgery in Chicago, IL now live in INDY).

He ordered for me to have CT with IV contrast which was scheduled three days later then when I just could not take the pain any longer so ER here I come. Now mind you I have been in pain since beginning of July and I went to the ER July 16th. They immediately admitted me and ran every possible test there were and kept me there for five freaking days just to tell me "YEAH YOUR CT LOOKS FUNKY BUT WE CAN SEE THAT YOU COLON IS IMPACTED BUT THERE IS NO CAUSE TO SCHEDULE YOU FOR EXPLORATORY SURGERY."

Me and my spouse knew that there was something terribly wrong with me so we kept pushing for them to figure this **** out. That there is no way I should be pain every time I ate and drank plus what the hell my colon have to do with me being in pain when I ate and drank!? At this point I was pissed off!

Me at first hospital... my face reads pain!!!

So me impacted, I THINK NOT! I have no problems ****ting (excuse my language). I ****s every freaking day on multiple occasions. So all the first hospital did was pump me with their strongest pain meds and fed me with laxatives for five freaking days. The surgeon kept saying, "That I am not preforming surgery on you." Everyday this ***** said this and my pain kept getting worse so they released me and home here I come.

So four days have passed and my pain hit me like I was being hit by a semi truck and it took my breath away so I immediately contacted a different bariatric surgeon that was part of the same hospital network but at a different hospital for a second opinion. Friday, 7/25/14 was my appointment and the new surgeon looked over all my tests that I have completed at first hospital and said, "Kenyatta, your CT shows that there is something terribly wrong with you but it is unclear, I am scheduling you for surgery 7/29/14 @ Noon."

I was so ecstatic that finally someone listened to me!!! So after I had my exploratory surgery, my new surgeon said, "Kenyatta, you had a lot going on with you that it was life threatening." I was high on meds and just shocked!!! I had a large hernia that was blocking my intestines which caused bowel obstruction, my bowels was so tangled that he cut some away and reconstructed my bowels and he redid my original RNY because the intestine that was connected was folding over like a "Candy Cane." SMDH was all I can do at that moment.

After surgery pain was worse than my first surgery... OMGeeeee!!!! I am forever grateful to my new surgeon for saving my life!!!!

Me before, after and recovery from surgery

Me on my 33rd Birthday August 8th feeling much better but still tender

Still sexy as ever!!! I SURVIVED!!! I AM HEALING!!! I AM HERE!!!

~Kenyatta"....Nothing never changes itself, Unless YOU make it...."

HW: 305 SW: 272 CW: 150  GW: 150

BMI Finally in Over Weight range..... ECSTATIC!!!!!

Ladytazz
on 8/13/14 1:18 pm

First, I want to say you look terrific!  You would never know that you had major surgery just days before.

I also wanted to say I am so glad you are getting better.  I've been there with the major pain and being blown off by the medical professionals.  The first time I went to the ER I waited in the waiting room curled up, doubled up in pain for 3 hours!  I finally left because the pain was getting better.

Thankfully my surgeon took me seriously and the next time I had a CT which showed a bowel obstruction.  They were able to resolve it without surgery, which would have been counter productive since my problems are due to adhesions from all my previous surgeries.

The point is, pain is NEVER normal and if your doctor blows you off, find one that will take you seriously, like you did.  Congratulations on being proactive and taking care of yourself.  As WLS we have to be because of our different anatomy and the needs we have.

BTW, I don't think you meant to say your prostate was impacted, did you?  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Kenyatta W.
on 8/13/14 1:33 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 01/07/13

LOL Tazz!!! I'd meant colon let me change that!!!

Yes we do have to be proactive!!! Thank you so much for the compliment and the heads up on my error!

Kenyatta

tdbull
on 8/13/14 1:39 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
You poor thing. It sounds like you have been thru the ringer, girl. It definitely pays to be persistent and make sure the docs keep exploring until they figure out what is wrong with us. WTG - and BTW - you look AMAZING!!! Hope you feel as good as you look now.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Kenyatta W.
on 8/13/14 1:45 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 01/07/13

Yes I have TDBull!!! Smh I'm still in shocked that I went through all of that hell. I'm just happy I was able to see another Birthday! Thank you so much for the compliment and well wishes!!

Kenyatta

MyLady Heidi
on 8/13/14 5:15 pm

Thankfully they finally got you fixed.  You look great and happy.  I can relate to being in the hospital on the wait and see, I recently had a blocked bile duct, spent 4 days in one hospital on pain meds npo, they released me thinking the stone could/would pass on its own, I still couldn't eat ended up begging my pcp to get me a referral with another gi doctor at a different hospital and after he saw my mrcp I was ordered to go to the e.r. and got admitted, had to wait all weekend for emergency surgery on Monday.  It was a nighmare.  I still am following up with all the doctors involved, saw the surgeon last week, gi later today.  

Kenyatta W.
on 8/13/14 11:09 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 01/07/13

Oh wow Heidi!!! Smh thank goodness for second opinions! I'm happy your doing better! I'm also happy to be able to eat and drink without being in pain.

Kenyatta

HarvestMoon1974
on 8/13/14 11:20 pm - Keyport, NJ
Revision on 05/01/14

I'm so glad you're feeling better, and the second surgeon took you seriously! And yes, you are sexy as ever! You look fantastic!!

" Life is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride"
Carol 378/189/170

Thankful for my little miracles Joshua and Daniel.

Kenyatta W.
on 8/13/14 11:57 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 01/07/13

Thank you so much HarvestMoon!

Kenyatta

56sunShine14
on 8/14/14 1:05 am, edited 8/14/14 1:06 am

You looked def. pissed!  with good reason.  Then you looked in pain now you look happy.  So sorry for what you went thru and sorry, as much as I hate using this word...legal suit?

Sometimes we need to get really pissed off in order to make us make a change.  Experience here.  I am so happy you are well again!

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics