Freaking Out

Capegin
on 8/18/14 12:31 am

I was scared, too!  It's normal... surgery is a big friggin deal!  But, not to your surgeon.  He or she has done this a thousand times.  For the team, it's just another day at the office.  You'll be great!!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/14 1:55 am

Look at the thousands of people who have had this surgery on here that are alive and well trying to encourage you. Do it for yourself and family. You will do just fine and after think what the hell was I worried about. 

tawbattle
on 8/18/14 2:20 am
RNY on 08/26/14

OMG I thought I was the only one panicking.  I'm having RNY on 8/26 and I share a lot of the feelings you have. I love my family so much and I don't want to leave them.  On the other hand, my quality of life is such that if I don't have surgery I'm risking not being here.  There's not much I can do with or for my family at 300+ pounds.  

I think it's normal to be anxious about this journey because it's a major surgery, but I'm trying to stay positive and not think the worst. I keep telling myself that hundreds of thousands of people have had this procedure with no problems at all. In fact, there's people having the surgery as we speak.  While I'm praying for myself and my family, I'll keep you and your family in prayer as well.  I serve a wonderful and awesome God that has never abandoned me when I've needed him, and that's what I'm counting on during this process. 

Best of luck and much success to you!

iHeartTeas
on 8/18/14 3:52 am

Thank you so much and I wish the best for you as well. :)

Dcgirl
on 8/18/14 3:11 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Oh nooooo please don't worry!  I was nervous too, and when I got in the gown at the hospital, they gave me some AMAZING stuff in my IV that made me feel like I imagine heroin users feel - total euphoria lol!  Ask them for some anti-anxiety.

As other posters have said, the danger of living with morbid obesity is more dangerous than surgery.  I had surgery Monday, woke up with very little pain and walked to the bathroom, went home on Tuesday, laid around Wednesday, walked to the store on Thursday, and was out with friends Friday (not eating or drinking anything more than water and a protein shake, of course).  I have lost 175 lbs since December 1st, 2013 and have NEVER felt better.  My life is immeasurably improved - I am fit and strong and can do so much more - flew on a small plane on Saturday and had so much room in the seat...walked 6 miles with friends yesterday...I only regret not having this surgery sooner.  I have no idea how much you need to lose, but I hope you don't chicken out - this is a new chance at life.

Good luck and come here for support!!!  :) 

acrazy_2011
on 8/18/14 3:18 am
VSG on 09/03/14

Don't chicken out please. I am the same way. I had the paper work for years and at 26 I finally decided it was time to have my surgery. You are gonna be fine ok. I will be praying for you

Andrea Nelums

iHeartTeas
on 8/18/14 4:03 am

I truly am blessed and feel so happy to have some many of you take the time to send me words of encouragement.  I am already feeling at ease and thank you all enough.

As a matter of fact my primary care physician suggested I take Xanax just for pre-surgery since he knows how I am and my anxiety level, my husband enthusiastically agreed.  At the moment it felt they were ganging up on me but I know now they were looking out for my best interest.  I have NEVER taken medications like that and was nervous.  However, I tried one 2 days ago to test it as suggested by my doctor and decided it would be ok to take on the day surgery just to help my anxiety.

Today I feel more likely to follow through largely in part to all you wonderful people here and of course my loving and supportive husband.  I need to here more positives.  I also believe there are many people here that have surgery and have lived to tell the tale. I want a happy ending too.

basilmk
on 8/18/14 10:38 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

One more thing.... ;)

After your surgery, follow your surgeon's instructions TO THE LETTER!

Don't go out next weekend, because you are feeling better, and have a few wings and a beer...I actually read that here.

Don't go bowling because you are felling better.

Etc., etc., etc.

If you disagree with something your surgeon says either have it out with her now or wait until you are healed to change your own treatment.

You can find many posts where people have disregarded the rules, usually printed in black and white, and had problems.

I can't wait to read your posts a month from now...

marty

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

iHeartTeas
on 8/18/14 12:07 pm

Thank you Marty. I will, I don't want to take any unnecessary risks.  I am scared enough as it is. 

ceemree
on 8/18/14 10:59 am
RNY on 01/07/14

I am 7 months out and down 88 lbs.  I feel 10 years younger!  My blood sugar levels are now below normal and my high blood pressure that caused a stroke at age 46 is now normal.   It's the best thing I have ever done for my self.  My biggest problem has been constipation and that is easily corrected.  I have never regretted my decision.  I just think why did I wait so long.  I plan on dancing at my grandkid's weddings.  That was something I probably would not have been able to do.  Go for it! 

HW 232 Preop 215 CW 142 GW 134

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 146 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views