pre-op fears of not losing weight?

cpower100
on 8/18/14 10:41 am

Hi, I am meeting with my surgeon in a couple of weeks and on track for RNY in November.   I am finding myself afraid that I will be the exception to the rule and not loose weight post surgery.  I have had so many weight loss failures and I have been working on a high protein low fat/calorie diet and I am not seeing any weight loss.  Is it possible that you follow the plan post surgery and not loose weight? Did anyone else have this fear?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/18/14 10:47 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I think everyone has this fear.   But, it's just not physically possible not to lose any weight after your surgery.  Especially during the "honeymoon period" -- weight loss is pretty much inevitable.  Can you not follow the rules and end up not reaching goal or gaining it all back?  Of course, but I know you will follow your surgeon's plan and find success.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

karenp8
on 8/18/14 11:19 am - Brighton, IL

I agree with the OP I think most people have that fear. We each have a lifetime of failed attempts to lose weight and keep it off. I had done every diet know to man: The Grapefruit Diet,The Cabbage Soup Diet, Atkins,Nutrisystem, Weigh****chers three times to name afew. Right before surgery I was working with a dietitian following a 1200 calorie a day diet and working out 45 minutes a day and could not loose weight. I had my surgery about two years ago and lost 140 pounds over 20 pounds lower than my goal. I have maintained the same weight for one year so far. I follow my doctors plan 99% of the time and exercise every day. I love my new healthy life and am so thankful for my surgery. I wish I had done it sooner so Iu would have been a better example for both my sons as I don't want them to have the health issues I did!

NYMom222
on 8/18/14 1:39 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I am 3 weeks out from surgery, I can attest that has been my fear too. My Doctor and Nutritionist have assured me that they are not worried, I will lose weight. I heard in the support groups that many people plateau in the 2nd or 3rd week, body is trying to figure out what happens. Just saying that so if it happens you won't think it's abnormal. I realize one of the reasons I expect this not to work is so many things in the past haven't worked. I am expecting failure. This is a new day, I will do this and so will you!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

chulbert
on 8/18/14 10:38 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

It is literally impossible - impossible - to you to follow the plan and not lose weight.  Your body is not some special case that gets to violate the laws of physics and biology.  If you're not losing weight then you're not following the plan.  Period, full stop.

jaynes-jump
on 8/20/14 12:48 am

I have and had the same feeling. I am 2 1/2 months  post op and down 64 lbs! It does happen Even with a 3 weeks of no loss.

It will happen! GOOD LUCK! and welcome to us LOSERS!

Kathyjs
on 8/21/14 5:49 am

We all tried to lose over and over. Follow the plan and you will lose. Congrats you will love your new life

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 290 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 216 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 283 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 145 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 216 views