Issues

senelrad
on 8/20/14 8:47 am

I was hoping for some advice or suggestions!?! Does anyone have issues with diarrhea? I'm a year out and before now would be lucky to have a BM every other day! I read somewhere that once the "absorption" kicks back in, that you maybe prone to diarrhea?? Also for those a year out about how many calories are you taking in and how many oz of solids can you take in at one time (not slider food). I know everyone is different but I was looking for a "ball park idea". Thanks! 

poet_kelly
on 8/20/14 8:57 am - OH

I don't know why you'd be more prone to diarrhea after you are absorbing most of the fat you eat again.  Seems like malabsorbing fat would be more likely to cause diarrhea to me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

senelrad
on 8/20/14 9:06 am

Yup I agree, I have seen post on here about folks having diarrhea. Before now I have had the opposite! So I was wondering at what time frame. I'm not sure what's up! Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/21/14 12:38 am - OH

As Kelly said, it is generally the opposite: people have diarrhea immediately post-op when they aren't consuming any solid food and then, sometimes, early out when they are malabsorbing more of the fat they eat. Constipation is much more frequent.

If the diarrhea just started recently and suddenly, I would take a look at what you are eating to see if you are getting more fat than you were before (it is easy at a year out to start getting lax about what you eat and how my you eat) or consider any change in medications or vitamins.  If neither of those might account for it, and it continues, I would suggest that you talk to your doctor because frequent diarrhea can cause dehydration.

(I never tracked calories so I have no idea how many I was eating at a year out.)  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

senelrad
on 8/30/14 12:14 pm

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately the diarrhea lasted for almost two weeks! Not until I passed out "cold" in the bathroom, with my hubby standing over me did I actually go to the MD. Apparently dehydration can cause diarrhea and a boat load of other issues! I never suspected dehydration because I drink 68 oz of fluid everyday! But again....apparently you loose 20 oz or so of fluid when running/jogging, which I just started doing in the last few months! And in the last weeks ran two 5Ks in the hot sun! Oh we'll lesson learn! I still log everything I eat so I knew that my fat intake was low, so I knew that wasn't the culprit! 

Most Active
Recent Topics