RNY probs - garden goodies

LMB221B
on 8/31/14 2:48 am

As a result of my weight loss, I had the energy to plant a little vegetable garden this year that produced a lot of goodies. My favorite garden product has always been tomatoes, and we've been lucky enough to have a bumper crop. Pre-RNY I could easily eat three or four garden tomatoes a day, but now I don't have that kind of pouch real estate to devote to tomatoes. My solution - make salsa! I've canned about 10 pints of yummy salsa so far, and more is on the horizon. It was my first attempt at making salsa, although I've frequently made fresh pico over the years. I just couldn't bear the thought of those tomatoes going to waste. 

crqvingchange
on 8/31/14 3:08 am

Great idea, now you can think of your summer garden when you open a jar in winter.  Good for poaching fish, with scrambled eggs, on baked chicken. love salsa.

iHeartTeas
on 8/31/14 3:43 am

That sounds wonderful. Yummy!

karenp8
on 8/31/14 3:47 am - Brighton, IL

My husband loves to can and makes salsa and no sugar added pasta sauce for us. I don't eat pasta but use it for him and I use mine over group d beef or ground venison or meatballs. I also take some up to the food pantry and the clients there always love them!

LittleMiss2013
on 8/31/14 4:51 am, edited 8/31/14 4:51 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

Dehydrating is a great alternative too. Tomatoes come back to life pretty well after sitting in ho****er for about 30 minutes. They are great to add to soups, stews, etc. I just bought a dehydrator and am loving it =)

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

diane48
on 8/31/14 7:20 am
RNY on 05/07/13

Salsa is great on cottage cheese, too.

Most Active
Recent Topics