sleeve or bypass?

hhamm
on 8/29/14 1:39 pm - MI

I am approved for surgery and had met all requirements.  I had my mind set on sleeve but met with the surgeon and he suggested bypass mostly because of my type 2 diabetes?  any thoughts and comments appreciated.

GodsChildII
on 8/29/14 3:24 pm - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

My situation was the same as yours. I was approved when in and my surgeon suggested a short bypass. After doing extensive research, attending a WLS and talking to individuals who had one or the other of the surgeries; I chose to go with the short bypass and three weeks out I am very happy with my decision. One of the primary decisions was eliminating diabetes.

Do your research and talk to as many people as you can that have had the two surgeries that you are considering. Make your finial decision with your surgeon.

good luck! 

NYMom222
on 8/30/14 7:49 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Both surgeries can help Type 2 Diabetes but if you search around for research Bypass is supposed to have a higher percentage. In the Hospital support group I've been to some people were off their medications before they left the hospital. Those that were still on medication said they were doing better and their insulin requirements were greatly reduced.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Famouslisa
on 9/2/14 4:22 am

I had RNY gastric bypass. I went in wanting the sleeve but found out I have barret's esophagus. Then the doc said it had to be the bypass. I had it done May 5th and am down 57 lbs. so far.

Most Active
Recent Topics