Alcoholic Beverages

Jill724
on 9/2/14 3:07 am
RNY on 07/24/14

When were you able to drink again? I was first told 1yr by my NUT.. then she told me 6 months. I see some posts about drinking sooner? Not that I am dying for a drink, but it may be nice to have a few sips! 

kbb0185
on 9/2/14 3:13 am
RNY on 07/15/14

You probably saw my post :)  I had 1 1/2 glasses of chardonnay 6 weeks post op.  It hit me FAST.  I am finding I really don't enjoy it anymore.  My NUT and doc both gave me the OK, and it was a planned one time thing.  I do not plan on having another drin****il the holidays.  I EASILY could have gone without it. 

Surgery Date: 07/15/2014

poet_kelly
on 9/2/14 3:19 am - OH

When was I able to or when did my doctor recommend it?

My surgeon recommended giving up alcohol for good but said to wait at least six months.  I don't have to follow my doctor's recommendations, though, so I would have been able to drink as soon as I wanted to.  I don't remember now how long I waited, maybe three months or so, then I had a small glass of wine.  I do not drink often, though.  I think I've had maybe five drinks since my WLS almost six years ago.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Patm
on 9/2/14 3:46 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I was told 6 mths. I would suggest trying your first drink at home. It tends to hit people hard after surgery. Also remember it is empty calories and may delay weight loss.

Ocalasam
on 9/2/14 4:01 am
RNY on 12/18/12

I had a drink maybe 6 months out.  I see a lot of people on here say that alcohol affects them differently after surgery.  It does not affect me any differently at all.  I can't drink beer or anything carbonated, but I drink an occasional glass or two of wine and it is exactly the same as before surgery.  Since so many people seem to be affected differently after surgery, I would try it at home first!

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/14 5:32 am

One thing I do notice if I do have a glass of wine I don't always makes the best choices.

rocky513
on 9/2/14 8:50 am - WI

Since nobody had addressed this yet, I will add that rapid weight loss from WLS puts a huge strain on your liver.  Adding alcohol is not a good idea until the rapid weight loss phase is over and you are in maintenance.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/14 9:29 am

Thank you for posting this.

Jill724
on 9/2/14 9:03 am
RNY on 07/24/14

Thanks Everybody!!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?