Not Taking in enough Calories

GodsChildII
on 9/9/14 10:37 am, edited 9/9/14 11:41 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

So I have been experiencing headaches and lightheadedness. I went in to see my PCP today and she said that I am not getting in enough calories and she is concerned with my rapid weight loss. I am five weeks post OP today from a short bypass ( It was supposed to have me lose less weight over a longer period of time).

today I weighted in almost (not quite) 40 pounds down. Here is my problem, I would rather drink protein shakes or water all day. I have absolutely no desire what's so ever to eat! I am just not hungry. I am trying to at least eat solid foods once a day, but even then I am only eating about four to five tablespoons and I am done.

My PCP is telling me that she wants me to eat "anything" but she wants me to get in at least 800 calories a day of solid food. I just don't see how I am going to be able to do that.

Do you think that I should make an appointment with my surgeon instead? Has anyone else had this issue?

poet_kelly
on 9/9/14 10:47 am - OH

What does your surgeon's plan say you should be eating/drinking right now?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

GodsChildII
on 9/9/14 11:30 am, edited 9/9/14 11:38 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

My surgeons plan says that I am at stage 4 diet " FOR LIFE": at this stage, you may begin experimenting with a variety of nutrient-dense solid foods. My nut says eat solids at meal times and drink nutritious, high protein beverages as snacks.

poet_kelly
on 9/9/14 11:28 pm - OH

So how many calories do they say you should be eating right now?  If you're having trouble getting 800 calories, surely your surgeon doesn't think you should be eating less than 800 calories for life.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sherrie P.
on 9/9/14 10:57 am
RNY on 02/06/13

How many calories are you getting?

If nothing else up the calories you are drinking.

I do think you should try to eat food -just because that is normal.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

GodsChildII
on 9/9/14 11:32 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

I would guess that right now with my shakes I am getting between 400 and 500 calories in on most days. I feel like I could drink another shake each day but my PCP wants me to eat solid foods.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/9/14 11:51 am

I was doing same # of calories at time you are. Pcp does not understand the bypass.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

GodsChildII
on 9/9/14 11:57 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

Did you have any issues with headaches or lightheadedness? How were you getting your calories solid foods or drinks? Did you also not have a desire for food? I am just wondering how normal that part is.

thanks!

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/9/14 9:12 pm

That may indicate dehydration. Problem with drinks only is that the is no volume, so the guts do not get clean. Also most drinks don't have enough sodium. Drinking salty mineral rich broth at least 2 x a day may really help with that. Food offers much more than shakes.  

I had days that it was hard to eat. And there are still here sometimes.  The problem with drinks- it's that your body is getting used to meals it does not need to digest. The longer you don't eat, the worse it may get. Once you start introducing real food, you may have problem digesting it.  I would make sure i eat real food, even small amount art least 2x day. 

Btw: by drinking too many whey protein shakes instead of real food, i think i may develop / caused allergy to dairy (any milk product) so now even if i want to drink whey protein shake. I can't. Or yogurt,or cheese.

Take that into consideration. Sometimes mono-diet may cause a lot of problems. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

lnettles1963
on 9/10/14 2:09 am
VSG on 07/12/13

I agree, at 5 weeks out I may not have been getting 500 calories or I was relying on the shakes for calories and protein.

Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 63 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 361 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 359 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 303 views