When are you eating?

Jessica N.
on 9/24/14 3:03 am

Hi all.  I am about 10 days post of from my RNY.  Feeling more like myself!  Anyway, I am finding that I am not hungry, and I am making myself eat a breakfast, a lunch and a dinner.  Which, for now, consists of yogurt for breakfast and lunch, and then soup for dinner.  Curious if others out there wait to eat when they are hungry, or if they eat three times a day.  I feel like I need to eat (shaky, etc) and feel better once I do, but I am for sure not hungry.  I don't want to deprive my body of nutrients etc, but then again, I want to be successful.  :)  TIA for your opinions!

Height: 6'1" SW: ~375 

RNY Scheduled: 09/15/14

bibette1
on 9/24/14 3:19 am
RNY on 09/08/14

Hi, I had my RNY 16 days ago, and I am going through the same thing. I make myself eat small meals, similar to what you are doing.  I can't say I feel hungry either so I have to remind myself to eat.  Drinking enough water seems to be my biggest challenge so far!  Good luck and continued success to you!

joansch
on 9/24/14 3:26 am

I'm a little over 3 weeks out from surgery. I make myself eat about every 2 - 3 hours, even if it's just a few bites or sips. And I sip water all day long. I don't feel hungry, but know from experience that if I don't eat I start to feel bad -- very tired, sort of nauseated, shaky (like you mentioned). Keep it up -- it gets easier!

Joan, Annapolis, MD

5'3"    SW: 248   Surgery date: 28 Aug 2014

Lucy S.
on 9/24/14 4:04 am
RNY on 03/18/14 with

I've found it very helpful to have a schedule for eating. This was a tool I learned in therapy for binge eating disorder prior to surgery, but it is super helpful post-surgery to both ensure you have time to get your liquids in and (later on) to ensure you aren't grazing.  Below is a schedule I use - you can adjust it for whatever your life schedule demands, and it can be different from day to day or on the weekends. Follow your doctor's plan as to the number of meals/snacks, this is just mine. The important part is that each day you schedule it and stick to it and get right back on schedule if you fall off. It was super difficult at first, but not it is pretty much mindless for me.  

Non Workout Days

Breakfast: 8:30am

Lunch: 12:00pm

Snack 1:3:00pm

Dinner: 6:30pm

Snack 2: 9:30pm

Morning Workout Days

Snack: 5:30am

Breakfast: 9:00am

Lunch:12:30pm

Snack: 3:30pm

Dinner: 7:30pm

HW: 263  CW:245  GW: 140 

Jenn S.
on 9/24/14 4:10 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

I am 3 1/2 months out, and still don't feel hunger.  So I try to eat at regular intervals each day.  Usually 3 meals plus two snacks.  If I waited till I was hungry I'd never eat .    Making sure I eat well at normal meal times seems to be working for me.  I imagine some day I'll get the feeling of hunger back, but for now I eat based on what time of day it is, as opposed to feeling hungry.  

NYMom222
on 9/24/14 6:25 am
RNY on 07/23/14

You are not always going to feel hunger, so you can't go by that. My Doc said to eat 5-6 times a day, but I usually eat more like 3-4 times. If you are getting shaky that is definitely a sign to eat- your blood sugar is low. I do get hungry, although not ravenous, more like 'I think I need to eat something' Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

karenp8
on 9/24/14 6:48 am - Brighton, IL

I am 25 months out and still don't feel hunger--everyone is different here! If I go more than 41/2 hours I will feel shaky as my blood sugar gets low. I eat every three to 4 hours. I am below my goal by more than 20 pounds and have been this weight for more than a year.

Deniser415
on 10/1/14 7:54 am

Hello - I'm 3 weeks post op and I don't experience the growly stomach like before but I get very shaky very quickly. Never happened before and it almost feels like I'm gonna pass out if I don't get something in my stomach and quick. That feeling leads to me rushing to eat so I'm not taking small enough bites, not chewing enough and then it really hurts!  I've had to vomit a few times to make my stomach feel better. Every day is a new eating adventure it seems. I'm eating 3 meals a day, 1 being a protein drink. Don't feel confident enough yet to eat more often or snack. Have lost 20 lbs post surgery so that's a good thing. Looking forward to the day when all if this food business becomes second nature. Good luck to you. 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 196 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 2 views
Recent Topics