Iron Infusion Question

jackietex
on 9/27/14 2:14 pm
If you need them, how frequently do you need to receive a series of iv infusions? I finished a set of 8 in December and thought I would be okay for a couple of years at least, but during my recent visit to the oncologist (I go every four months to check my iron levels) we discovered I'm low again (ferritin was 9.2) and I'm getting an infusion next week.

Lap RNY February 15, 2012
Starting weight 195 (ht. 4'10)
Surgery weight 178.5
Current weight 113

Roni24
on 9/27/14 2:54 pm

I receive them as well.  There's no set time of when you should get them.  Your oncologist/hematologist will continuously monitor your blood levels (for you every 4 months) and setup treatment only when needed.  As long as your body can't maintain its iron levels on its own you will always be monitored and treated accordingly.  There is a specific calculation they use to determine how many infusions you will need during each treatment.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/27/14 9:48 pm, edited 9/28/14 2:34 am

That may depend on a person, how low your levels were before infusions, and if you are menstruating or not. 

Some people needs every year or every other year, others may need that once a month...

My hena told me that somehow we can't hold onto the  infused iron as well as iron that has been taken by mouth. 

Some hema advice patients to take iron by mouth between infusions to keep the levels.  (I can't due to ibs-c and severe pain when i take any)

I had surgery in 2008. I needed my first series of infusions in 2011,  i had to have another in 2012, but that one hold me until 2014... Had one mid year this year.  My first series got me out of anemia and ferritin of 9.  Second - my blood markers were very good - no anemia, but my ferritin dropped to 23...so i got infusion. This year - again, my RBC and Hemoglobin and other markets were good, but ferritin dipped below 30..., 

Ask doc to check your copper level. That is also critical for building blood. I was low normal when they checked me. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

browneyes65
on 10/4/14 12:12 pm - IN

I will get my ferritin  level checked in January it will be one year, what number is a good number and also a good number for Iron ?

Karen M.
on 9/27/14 11:47 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Hi there,

It really depends on the individual it seems and how well they are able to absorb and maintain iron in their body. I have had 2 cycles of infusions - one was in 2012, 12 weeks long, lasted until 2014, 3 weeks long. My ferritin got a real boost this last time (no idea why) and it seems to be holding on so far. I do, however, also supplement with FeraMax (1 per day).

Are you continuing to supplement iron?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

jackietex
on 9/28/14 12:05 pm
Thanks for the replies. I do not use oral iron supplements anymore because the hema told me I didn't seem to get any benefit from them and the side effects were ugly.

Surgery weight 178.5
Current weight 113

jeter1914
on 9/29/14 12:39 pm

I'm 6 weeks out of surgery and just been told I need iron infusions.  How is it done what does it feellike during and after? 

jackietex
on 9/29/14 12:43 pm
It's really easy. They hook you up to an iv, so it's a good idea to drink water in advance to make your veins extra "juicy." And then you sit there for an hour or two. The first time is longer because they need to check to see if you're going to have an allergic reaction. If I remember correctly, after the iron infusion, they run saline through for an extra ten minutes. Some people say they felt better after one course, but it took several doses for me to feel more energetic. Since I'm trying a new kind of infusion that only takes two doses, I'm interested to see if I will feel better quicker. Good luck!

Surgery weight 178.5
Current weight 113

bbearsmama
on 10/4/14 12:03 pm
RNY on 02/28/13

I haven't needed an infusion since last December, so it's been a while for me. I see the hematologist every 3 months for iron checks. So I guess I need them about twice a year. However-I just had an ablation done yesterday so that my periods are not so heavy so I'm hoping that it will be an end to needing iron infusions.  I was very anemic even BEFORE my surgery. My hematologist thinks it is because I have such heavy periods.

Pam :)

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

thethinme
on 10/4/14 12:14 pm, edited 10/4/14 12:35 pm - NY

I am happy I came accross this post by accident. I don't eat meat and have been really low on iron even before the surgery.

My doctor gave me oral supplements which are a pain to take. The oral pills give me constipation and I hate taking them. Doctor said US insurance doesn't usually cover other forms of iron, as injections etc... you are mentioning it's like an IV now, so that's new for me.

Are you in the US? Have your insurance paid for it, and how was the process of getting this approved?

edit: I have had VSG type of surgery, not sure if it makes a difference.

SW 215=98 | GW 137=62 | CW: 116 lbs = 52.5 kg | 5'4 | lost: 99 lbs=45 kg | goal: 7-9 mo.

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 510 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 492 views