First day of "soft foods" and it didn't go well.

alittlelessofme
on 10/2/14 1:47 pm
RNY on 09/18/14

Had my RNY on 9/18 ... Today was my first day of Stage Soft Foods and it didn't go well.

I had a scrambled egg with cheese from breakfast.. Ate a little more than half and I think I should have stopped at half. But I felt okay.. But didn't eat until dinner time..

For dinner I had some refried beans and melted cheese from dinner. About four bites. No lie. And stopped.. Didn't really feel good. Waited 45 minutes for a sip of something. Sipped water and then milk. I was nauseas since I started eating.. I went for a walk to get it to digest faster and for fresh air. Still felt awful. Ended up throwing up.. Felt ok after that for a bit.. Drank more water. Then nausea came back so I took a shower. Then I got out of the shower and pretty much immediately threw up again.

I am thinking I need a few more days with my full liquids stage. Is this dumping? Am I reacting to too much dairy?

I know I need to eat so I am- but I am honestly not hungry whatsoever. I have had zero appetite since my surgery. So I am thinking I need to be on liquids until I do get an appetite.

Tips?

4/16 - Attended a seminar...
HW- (that I know of) 285
CW- 275 GW- TBD! :)
Add me on Fitbit! :) https://www.fitbit.com/user/28Z5QP

selhard
on 10/2/14 2:14 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

The words "appetite" and "hunger" are kinda old thoughts...  I have been following WLS dietician advice to eat every three hours making sure the food is protein first, vegetable next, and an occasional fruit.  I try hard not to celebrate with food, console with food, or the like.  My goal to to view food as a way to stay healthy and alive.  I don't think you are dumping.  I think you and your body are going through a process of adjusting and you'll learn by trial and error what stays down and what causes food to come back out.  My tips are to introduce one food at a time, stay away from eating in public for a while, and eat a small amount of food (a few bites) every three hours.

poet_kelly
on 10/2/14 2:20 pm - OH

No, that's not dumping.  There would have been very little sugar in those beans, if any.  Not enough to dump on, for sure.  Also, dumping causes symptoms like a rapid heart beat and sweating in addition to sometimes causing nausea and vomiting.

Stick to full liquids for a couple days, then try some soft food again.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/2/14 2:42 pm - OH

No, not dumping.  Dumping is only caused by sugar/carbs, not by protein.  It might be the dairy.  Next time try the beans or egg without the cheese and try just a couple of bites. Eating too much is the biggest reason for post-op vomiting.  Also, drinking milk when you are already nauseous is almost a guarantee that you are going to vomit.  It is about the worst thing you can drink if you are queasy.

There really isn't a specific time period needed for enough healing to handle soft foods. Some surgeons out their patients back in soft foods just a few days after surgery with no trouble at all.  It is really, really important to chew thoroughly. (I know, it doesn't seem like there would be much chewing involved in a scrambled egg, but chew it until it is applesauce consistency, anyway.  It really does make a difference and it will guarantee that you never get anything stuck.)

Not having an appetite is almost universal after RNY (for a certain period of time, anyway).  It is actually a blessing in a way because it allows you to think of food as something that fuels your body rather than as something that eases boredom or negative emotions, etc.  you eat because your body needs nutrition, not for any other reason.  Then, later, the enjoyment from eating something tasty returns.  By then, people have often already significantly adjusted how they view food.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

pittgal08
on 10/3/14 2:37 am

Wonderful post, I am pre-op, and the fact that it will help me train my mind makes me very hopeful. Thanks for the post. Blessings ;)

MickeyDee
on 10/2/14 2:59 pm

I couldn't eat scrambled eggs for more than a year.  Eggs are tough for a lot of people.  I was able to tolerate a very runny yolk, but scrambled was too hard.  Don't worry about it too much.  When you're ready, give it another try with just a couple of nibbles.  

Right at first it is not uncommon to not have an appetite.  You'll learn to know your body's signal for "ENOUGH" ;  some folks get a runny nose, others burp, and still others hiccup.  Once you hit your High Level Alarm, quit eating.  It'll make your life SOOOO much easier.

Chilipepper
on 10/2/14 3:16 pm

If you aren't ready it's ok. Wait a few more days and try again. You still have internal swelling. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Holli R.
on 10/2/14 3:18 pm - Fort Worth, TX
VSG on 09/16/14

What size of bites are you taking?  A normal fork or spoonful?

I've been using tiny ****tail spoons (I found them at Big Lots) to make sure my bites are small enough, and I've seen other people recommending infant or toddler utensils for the same purpose.  Maybe try something like that?

I think it's probably a good idea to go back a food stage for a little while if this one isn't agreeing with you yet.  Everyone's new stomach is different, so it's a good idea to listen to the signals it's sending you.  But I wouldn't wait until you get an appetite to move forward.  It's important to eventually get through the stages so that you can eat dense proteins, which are really important for your health and your weight-loss.  For now, timing your meals and measuring your food will take the place of your missing appetite.

Good luck!

Height: 5'0"  HW: 289  SW: 279  

Next Goal: under 250 lbs

JAMStribe
on 10/2/14 11:30 pm

I would only try one new food at a time.  Like we do with babies.  Things you liked before you may not now and vice versa.

Be sure not to eat too fast, which is normal since we have been doing it all our lives.  Your symptoms could have been that or

maybe you ate too much too quick.  Just take it a day at a time. 

HFA70
on 10/3/14 12:19 am

Introducing food can be difficult, it was for me.  I still struggle with eggs.  I had to eat food with a baby spoon to prevent myself from eating too fast or overeating and it helped.

It took me about 3 months to get an appetite, so follow your doctor's plan.

Good luck

Most Active
Recent Topics