I NEED A HUG!!! (long)

new_me180
on 10/17/14 8:17 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

..and some advise as well. As some of you know, i had my RNY last yr October, i'll be a yr on the 24th. I've had some problems on and off, mostly pain and nausea. Had a few gastroscopies showing ulcers and scratches and an exploratory lap in Feb, were i had some adhesions cut out. Since the lap, i'd been doing quite well until Aug 1 when i had some really sharp pain and cramping. The Dr said it was a pulled muscle but 3 wks later the nausea and vomiting started and still had the same pain that was cramping constantly. CT was clear and i just had another gastroscopy on Oct 3rd, which showed everything had healed although, the anastomosis was a little stretched.

I've been having a hard time eating and keeping up with fluids especially the last 6 wks. I've lost 20lbs as well within the last 3 wks. This past wk alone, i've been only managing to drink maybe 24oz of liquids a day, and that's forcing myself and a few bites of food here and there. I feel awful, dizzy and weak. Blood work shows low platelets and high cholesterol but everything else is ok. I don't know how accurate those results were coz the lab tech forgot to take the right amount of tubes so, she had to borrow some blood from the other tubes. So i just f/u with the surgeon today and he tells me that the scope was clear and to watch what i'm eating as the anastomosis was a bit stretched. I asked him why it would be stretched and he told me that usually because ppl eat too much and it stretches but, that's usually after 3 yrs post op. I was a bit taken aback by this, not because i over eat, but because i under eat and ALWAYS struggle to finish anything. Non the less, i wasn't worried about it as i know i don't over eat but was a bit disappointed the the surgeon thought i was over eating.

Any ways, he asked me how i was feeling and i told him that i was miserable, can't eat, drink and in pain 24/7, feel dizzy from not enough fluids, had a headache as well as having acid issues despite me taking my PPI and just wanted a resolution to what was going on. He then asked how my hair was and i told him it was still falling out. He said Ok, f/u with me in 3 months. WTF!!!! after i just told him how i was feeling he tells me to f/u in 3months and no possible resolution to what's going on now. No suggestions on medication changes or any advise what so ever. Mind you I have a VERY HIGH pain threshold and have some pain meds in the house from months and yrs ago that i can be popping like candy but i don't because i just don't like taking pills and just rather wait and see and besides, i was not asking him for any pain meds. So if i say i'm in pain, i'm in pain and I'm not a hypochondriac or a drug seeker either. I've barely been able to have much to drink at all in the last 2 days and today just took me over the edge. I was so teary eyed when i left the clinic as i felt that i wasn't listened to. I understand that he has done tests and they've all come back clear but, that doesn't help how i'm feeling.

I was so upset that i marched right upstairs to the ER so they can do some blood work to make sure that i wasn't at least dehydrated as i felt i was. Good thing the labs were ok and i was able to relax a little and go home. Non the less i'm still in pain and very thirsty as i type this. Tried to drink more fluids when i came home but, it's just not happening. Don't get me wrong, i'm glad that there is nothing serious that they could find but disappointed at the same time that i'm having so much unexplained pain. I just want to curl up and cry as i feel so frustrated today. ARRGGG!!!!

poet_kelly
on 10/17/14 11:54 am - OH

That sounds really frustrating.

I suggest calling your surgeon's office on Monday and asking what they plan to do now since you are feeling miserable.  Tell them that just following up in three months is not sufficient.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

new_me180
on 10/17/14 1:34 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

It is frustrating, especially as i don't want to be seen as a serial complainer. From the visit, i just got the your tests are fine, you shouldn't be having pain, so go home. So i'm caught i think in a difficult position on what to do.

karin602
on 10/18/14 6:30 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Pain and nausea are being caused by something. You are going to have to be very proactive and a strong advocate. I agree with Poet Kelly. Call and let them know you need something done. You might call the nurse advocate at your insurance company as well, check in with your primary, go back to the ER. Definitely sending you hugs as well as prayers.

Karin

new_me180
on 10/18/14 7:59 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks a lot karin for the prayers and hugs. I get discouraged when i don't get anywhere. I've been telling them how i feel and now i just get the sighs when i call. I have spoken to an advocate before over the other doctor who was covering. So now i feel if i complain again, they will be like see, she just complains no matter what. I do go for a f/u next week, i'll see how it goes then. Thanks

NYMom222
on 10/18/14 6:34 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Ugh...that really sounds horrible. I can't address why you have pain, but certainly if you are barely eating and drinking you are going to feel terrible and probably be nauseous. You don't really say what you are eating, but maybe you should go back to having at least 2 protein shakes a day. The Premier ones are 30g each, and 2 of them would at least get you to your minimum protein intake. as well as give you fluids. Then whatever else you ate for the day you wouldn't have to be worried about 'getting the protein in'. 

I knew someone who had nausea for several years after surgery and she started tasking probiotics and it finally went away. They can't hurt and might help. I find for nausea that Peppermint Tic Tacs help me a lot. I put one or two in my mouth and just bite them to crush them and then let them dissolve in my mouth. Not a solution of course, but makes you feel better for the moment. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

new_me180
on 10/19/14 4:38 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Arrgg, it is horrible what i'm going through. In the beginning i was able to tolerate anything in the plan but only having a few bites before i got nauseated and pain.. Then as time went on I could only tolerate eggs as fish, chicken or anything ground would hurt. Now even the eggs get to me so i have a bite or two of any dense protein and stop. I'm starting to do protein shakes but, try as i may, i can never finish one. I drink i feel pain so, i can do 8oz over two days as i have to have very tiny sips coz if i try to sip too much in a short space of time, i vomit. I have peppermint tea i try to sip on, have broth, jello etc, no relief. 

What I think my doc doesn't understand is that i want to eat and am physically hungry and thirsty but, this pain is hindering this. He just sees the weight loss an he's happy, even tells me i'm way ahead of the others and to keep up the good work. Of course i'm ahead of schedule, i'm barely eating. I wish i could be drinking more, it would make my life a whole lot easier as i could drink protein shakes and get nutrition that way for the time being. The surgeon suggested i talk to the dietician to see if she can give me some tips on what to eat. We'll see how that goes and i'll let you know how that goes. Thanks

Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 52 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 358 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 357 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 301 views