Pregnancy and WLS/vitamin absorption questions (yeah I know this isn't the pregnancy...

Jules0225
on 10/16/14 7:01 am

To those of you have had children after losing weight... could you share a little bit of your experience with me? Specifically the weight gain during and how easy/hard was it to lose after? Any diet recommendations?

Oh, by the way.... I'M PREGNANT!!! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! My first appointment is Tuesday October 21st with my OB/GYN and I'm going to see my bariatric doctor October 28th. Any advice on things I should ask about would be welcomed. I know my bariatric doc wants me to get B12 injections monthly while I'm pregnant as opposed to every three months. Also, I was comparing the gummy prenatals versus the pills and noticed some of the vitamins are in different forms. Any idea if we have trouble with absorption? 

So yeah, I will be two years post op November 19. I know this never would have happened had I not been fortunate enough to have surgery and lose all this weight. I've lost about 230lbs. Still wanted to lose about 30 more but that will have to wait. Oh and I know there is a pregnancy forum. I have posted there in the past but it's like a ghost town over there. :)

Anyway, that's my happy news!! Thanks in advance!

poet_kelly
on 10/16/14 10:28 am - OH

The gummy vites are missing a LOT of nutrients.  You need a good mult with 100% of the RDA of stuff in it.

Also, the ASMBS recommends B12 shots monthly anyway, even when not pregnant.  Why were you only taking them monthly?

I'd get a full set of labs done and then adjust your vitamins from there.  But I would also start with the ASMBS guidelines, which is a good multi (not a gummy) twice a day, 1500 mg calcium citrate (not carbonate or phosphate), iron and B12 (monthly shots, weekly nasal spray or 500 mcg sublingual daily).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jules0225
on 10/16/14 11:09 am, edited 10/16/14 11:11 am

Oh Kelly I meant the gummy prenatal vitamins. My multi is a pill. I learned that from this site very early out. :) Sorry for the confusion. I do take sublingual B12 and get the shot every three months too. I have my labs done every 3 months still. I will have my labs done again before seeing my bariatric doc on the 28 to see where everything is at and I'm sure she will adjust accordingly. 

Right now I take a multi 2x/day, 2000mg calcium citrate, carbonyl iron with 500mg vitamin C, 50,000IU dry d3 2x/wk, 500mcg b12 sublingual, and a prenatal in pill form. 

poet_kelly
on 10/16/14 11:11 am - OH

The gummy prenatals are still missing a lot of stuff.

I didn't realize you were taking sublingual B12 as well as the shots.  You're probably doing fine on the B12 then.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jules0225
on 10/16/14 11:17 am, edited 10/16/14 11:18 am

Yeah I felt like the gummy prenatals probably weren't as good so I bought the pills. They leave a wretched after taste but I rather deal with that than not getting sufficient vitamins. 

Sorry, I realize I wasn't clear about what vitamins I'm already taking. Thank you for looking out. 

Poodlemac
on 10/16/14 2:46 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Slightly off topic, but how long does it take these sublingual vitamins to dissolve?  I ve had zinc lozenges that seemed to take hours!  Awful!

Jules0225
on 10/16/14 3:10 pm

Only a couple minutes. It's not a lozenge though. It's a tiny cherry flavored pill I stick under my tongue. That could be why the zinc takes so long to disolve. 

poet_kelly
on 10/17/14 3:58 am - OH

Depends on the brand but should only be two or three minutes.

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 329 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 337 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 456 views