a little help/advice needed

tgrlnh
on 10/21/14 1:28 am, edited 10/21/14 1:33 am
RNY on 06/05/12

Hi All,

I haven't been here in a while but I need some help.  Maybe a little TMI for a few but here we go.  So the past couple of weeks or so I've been getting stomach pains they could be gas or constipation or they could be something worst and this is where you come in.

I'm 2 1/2 years out I've lost between 211 and 201 pounds depending on the day.  I've been very strict with my diet and thus very successful. Recent life downfalls have had me going back to bad habits including everything that you can't or shouldn't do after surgery (I've already signed up for therapy for that)

Anyhow, back to the point, has anyone else experienced these pains?  Like I said, could be gas, could be constipation?  I went to the bathroom yesterday but it just doesn't feel satisfying (gross) does that make sense?  The pain is not constant but it is very very uncomfortable. My stomach is hard and it hurts to go from sitting to standing but walking does help (which is why I think it may be gas).  Right now my stomach is sort of balooned out, like I have a beer belly or a pregnant belly.  Could sipping hot liquid help to cause this or maybe I'm eating too fast? 

I know you guys aren't doctors and I'll go if I have to but my surgeon retired and I am not a fan of his replacement.

Thanks for listening

HW 351 SW 314 CW 140 ~ Surgery Day 6/5/12 - The first day of the rest of my life!

poet_kelly
on 10/21/14 1:38 am - OH

Your problem may not be related to your surgery so you may not need to see a surgeon.  I'd probably just see my PCP about it.

Sure, many of us have experience gas pains and constipation and other types of pain.  But there's just no way for us to know what is causing your pain.  Sipping hot liquid would not cause bloating and pain like you describe, though, so I don't think that's it.

If you think you're constipated, how about trying some Miralax?  But if this has been going on for a while or your stomach is so bloated you look pregnant, I'd call your doctor.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tracy71
on 10/21/14 2:02 am

Call your dr!! I am a yr out on thurs and I have been having pain on the left side since Sunday and I did a colon cleanse x2 and now they think I have a blockage. Good Luck!!

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/21/14 2:22 am

I developed IBS-C ...it's may be SIBO (google that) or just because  my gut has been rearranged that motility of my gut has been compromised.  (Slow food transition in the gut) 

I suffered with pain, bloating, etc.  Eventually i had to completely change my diet, avoiding any FODMAP foods, plus i avoid foods that i am allergic to (soy and dairy) plus most starches. 

And i am on 2+capfuls of Miralax a day.  All of that though very restrictive allows me to have more of a normal belly, no pains, minimal gas and no constipation.   

If you think is constipation - first try to see if you can get really clean - when my symtomps  were the worst - i put myself on liquid only diet and try to see how long it would take to get clean - it took me 3 days (i know, i was full of it, but really ? 3 days) of daily Miralax and gentle laxative to get clean.   

Even now when I  feel that i may be geting backed up - try to have a day or 2 of very light eating and try to make my gut move and get clean.  Specially after i have been dealing with stress, or travels, or just feel very full when not eating a lot. Typically - once a month or so.  My guts does not move the food as well as i wi**** did.  Ginger tea and digestive enzymes help a lot. Lots of water, and coffee. 

Btw : hot liquids on empty pouch may run all the way into small intestines and"burn them"causing pain and spasm. I have to make sure my drinks are not to warm or my gut responds with pain and cramming.   And not to cold. The small intestines are not suppose to (in normal gut) be exposed to very hot or very cold food or drinks. The stoma is suppose to bring food and drinks to body temperatures before it releases that into the gut. With pouch - there is no value to protect the gut... So any very hot or cold liquids just get there almost immediately. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

tgrlnh
on 10/21/14 4:38 am
RNY on 06/05/12

Thank you all,

I am going to try some miralax when I get home.  I'm also going to get some protein shakes and do those again for a few days.

HW 351 SW 314 CW 140 ~ Surgery Day 6/5/12 - The first day of the rest of my life!

MickeyDee
on 10/21/14 5:51 am

I've found that too many protein shakes tend to clog up my digestive system.  I'd like to suggest doing the Miralax until you get relief, and doing the protein shakes lightly.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/21/14 9:50 am

1- 2 days light on proteins should not hurt you. 

I chose to drink nice rich chicken stock broth, maybe with small about of vwell cooked veggies. If you tolerate dairy - great natural plain ( not fat free) yogurt can do much good. 

Plus lots of herbal teas, and easy to digest foods.  You may be bit hungry for a couple of days But if you feel hungry - drink more warm drinks,  or have jello, or even some avocado. If my BS gets too low,  yogurt or a Tbs of NSA but butter really helps.  

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/21/14 9:51 am

1- 2 days light on proteins should not hurt you. 

I chose to drink nice rich chicken stock broth, maybe with small about of vwell cooked veggies. If you tolerate dairy - great natural plain ( not fat free) yogurt can do much good. 

Plus lots of herbal teas, and easy to digest foods.  You may be a bit hungry for a couple of days But if you feel hungry - drink more warm drinks,  or have jello, or even some avocado. If my BS gets too low,  yogurt or a Tbs of NSA nut butter really helps.  

Most Active
Recent Topics