sugar and headaches

Bubbles314
on 11/10/14 1:55 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

So I went out to dinner with a friend for her birthday tonight.  I watched what I ate until dessert, I ate a half a piece of cheesecake.  I did not dump, but man do I have a headache.  I did not have a headache prior to eating the cheesecake.  I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.  I don't recall reading this anywhere on the boards but I could be wrong.  Gotta go my head is killing me, going to sleep now.

Kate -True Brit
on 11/10/14 4:38 pm - UK

Both a sudden withdrawal of carbs and a sudden influx after not eating them give me a headache. 

This is not meant to be nasty. But take care. This is the time of highest motivation just after surgery. If you can't resist cheesecake now (and when I was in the US I found that a standard slice of cheesecake is twice what we consider normal here in the UK) you are going to have very major problems in a few months time. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

birdiegirl
on 11/10/14 5:52 pm

Hi bubbles

I would like to re-iterate what Kate said ^^^^

Sugar can make you feel sick - headache included.  Like Kate I am more concerned with the fact you had dessert 5 weeks post surgery.

We all make our own choices in how we are going to approach our journey.  However, time and again we have seen the route to success derailed by poor choices.  Especially early out. 

You have a lot to lose - I can certainly relate.  Try to wait until you are at goal to incorporate 'bites" of non essential foods in your plan.  The more you say NO the easier it gets. 

You dont want to be one of those who find themselves at 1 year out far from goal.  Use this honeymoon period to really work your new tool and your program.

All the best - again, your decision - just hope you re-think your choices.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/10/14 9:34 pm - OH

Yes, that much sugar could cause a headache.  It also could have made you dump, even though it didn't.  What would you have done if you had ended up suddenly -- and anyone who has dumped can tell you that it often happens quite quickly -- very sick, wanting to just lay on the floor of the restaurant bathroom?  

As the others said, I would be more concerned about having eaten half a piece of cheesecake so early post-op than having a headache.

What concerns me the most for you, though, is the fact that you now know that you don't dump so you have now lost the psychological advantage of the threat of getting sick if you eat too much sugar (and sugar apparently IS a weakness for you). IMO, that is way too early after surgery to surrender that part of your "tool"... but what's done is done and cannot be undone.  Perhaps others, though, will think about that particular consequence of eating sugar so early out.

Please be more mindful about what you eat so you don't stray down the wrong path and then wake up a year from now feeling regret.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Laura in Texas
on 11/10/14 10:08 pm

Our starting weights were about the same. Let me tell you a big piece of the puzzle that helped me lose 200 pounds and stay here 6 years post-op. I did not eat anything with more than 6 grams of sugar until I was at goal and even now I only eat sweets sparingly. Just because we want something does not mean we should eat it. That mentality got us to over 300 pounds.

Please learn healthy habits now and use your tool wisely. I want you to be successful.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Bubbles314
on 11/10/14 11:11 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Thanks for the reply.  I know I made a mistake by eating half a slice of cheesecake.  I won't do it again, the headache was bad enough.  I don't even have a good reason for eating it except I ate a 1/2 cup of chili and was talking so much I wasn't exactly thinking.  You are all right I need to be more mindful.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/10/14 11:28 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I know this may come off as harsh -- (see my full post below) -- but please know that I mean this to help you.  If you ate a half cup of chili and half a slice of cheesecake that is at least 3/4 of a cup of food.  That's A LOT a month out.  I don't usually eat that much at 10.5 months out.  Moreover, 1/2 a slice of cheesecake has about 210 calories and 14 sugars (18 carbs) and the 1/2 c chili has an average of 150 calories per half cup.  That means you ate at least 1/2 the calories most people eat in an ENTIRE day in one meal.  At a month out, I usually had between 500 and 650 calories and 1/2 c a food for an entire meal.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Karen M.
on 11/10/14 11:41 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Kathryn, I would have some trouble eating that now, at 8 1/2 years post-op.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Laura in Texas
on 11/11/14 10:08 pm

Awesome. I am glad you were not upset by our replies. You deserve to be healthy and need to make the right choices to do so. You have to believe that. Onward and upward!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Karen M.
on 11/10/14 10:11 pm, edited 11/10/14 10:11 pm - Mississauga, Canada

You do not recall reading about headaches after eating sugar on the board - do you perhaps remember reading about the importance of post-op diet/nutrition? Or dumping syndrome? Or why eating cheesecake (or any sugary dessert) at 5 weeks post-op is most certainly not on your eating plan and is to be avoided?

I am certain in reading your many posts both pre and post op that you wish to be successful. This will include making appropriate, on-plan food choices. Your choices reflect your journey, so to speak.

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics