Liver Cleanse

knolmom
on 11/24/14 11:14 am

With so many folks here complaining bitterly about having to stay on a liquid or near liquid diet during the last week or two before surgery in order to cleanse the liver, I am wondering exactly what causes the liver to be " unclean" or sticky and slippery. Is it the fats, the carbs or the sugars that cause the problem? The fasting diets that combine shakes, protein and greens seem to serve the same end, so it must not be lean protein or greens that are gumming it up. Does caffein effect the liver? How about low fat milk?

alaskasusan
on 11/24/14 11:48 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

I believe you may be referring to the pre-op diet to shrink the liver (not 'cleanse').  This is very important to assist in the actual operation as the surgeon will have an easier time with access, which leads to at least possibly an easier recovery for you.  Getting off sugar and starches is simply a good way to start your new life-style, and many of us chose to get off caffeine as well, to simplify recovery.  I am still off that now just because I have so much more energy and sleep so much better that it's not really needed (though I do enjoy a hot cup of camomile tea at night). 

Good luck to you in reaching your goal!

knolmom
on 11/24/14 11:49 am

Thank you. I guess fats are the main culprit though?

mschwab
on 11/24/14 12:08 pm
RNY on 11/21/14

Being fat is the main culprit. What foods do, or do not, make one fat has been debated for decades. 

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

White Dove
on 11/24/14 10:09 pm - Warren, OH

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hollykim
on 11/25/14 1:22 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 24, 2014 at 7:49 PM Pacific Time, knolmom wrote:

Thank you. I guess fats are the main culprit though?

actually,no,not fats. Carbs and sugar and since most carbs turn into sugar really quickly,you might as well be eating pure sugar. A low carb/ sugR diet burns the glycogen(sugar) off the liver.

hollykim
on 11/25/14 1:23 am, edited 11/25/14 1:23 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 24, 2014 at 7:14 PM Pacific Time, knolmom wrote:

With so many folks here complaining bitterly about having to stay on a liquid or near liquid diet during the last week or two before surgery in order to cleanse the liver, I am wondering exactly what causes the liver to be " unclean" or sticky and slippery. Is it the fats, the carbs or the sugars that cause the problem? The fasting diets that combine shakes, protein and greens seem to serve the same end, so it must not be lean protein or greens that are gumming it up. Does caffein effect the liver? How about low fat milk?

I assume you are preop? Wait until your turn to do the pre op diet And see  how bitterly y .ou hate it!   :)

knolmom
on 11/25/14 8:21 am

I have actually been on the pre op diet since October 30, which is 3 weeks ago. It was suggested that I start ASAP as my BMI was over 50, and they want my liver to shrink and be free of toxins. The diet is very clear cut. It has 2 shakes, 6 oz lean protien a day, plus 50 oz other liquids per day It also includes some carbs, like a slice of bread, 1/3 cup pasta, a baked potato or 1/2 cup peas but because I am a diabetic my NUT disallowed these items. I can have 1 piece of fruit or I non fat Greek yogurt on alternating days. All proteins and veggies must be prepared without any fat,butter  or oil.

i asked the question because my diet eliminates the carbs and fats. If the carbs are gone because of the diabetes, then I would have supposed the fats were the issue. So now I am incorrect. It must be the carbs.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 312 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 110 views
Recent Topics