WHO NEEDS THERAPY! Um, me?

shery11ynn
on 12/12/14 7:58 am

I am planning RNY, and have finished all my tests. I had my third visit with the dietitian today, and a month ago I had planned that this would be my last appointment before I'm cleared for surgery - all I had to do was track and review, I had it covered. Well, I didn't have the best month. All my good intentions went out the window, and although I didn't gain, I didn't lose anything either.

I read a post a while back from someone that was a week out of surgery and ate two pieces of pizza, and asked if anyone else was able to do the same at that point in time. That post scared the crap out of me. Although I wouldn't do anything that drastically against medical orders, I can see myself screwing up later on in the process. I do not want to make this kind of investment only to gain everything I've lost back again in a couple of years. Today when I went to see the dietition I asked for a recommendation to see a therapist.

She applauded my request, and said there are so many people who just give what they know are the right answers, get the surgery and fail. She told me go talk to the therapist, and call her when I'm ready to start up again. She said I've got a lot of hard work ahead of me, but I can still get surgery later, and won't have to start repeating any of my tests until August.

I know I'm doing the right thing, but darn, I want this yesterday, and this was a REALLY hard decision for me to make. I left the office and sat in my car and cried. I'm not a person who cries easily either. I guess I just needed a few minutes to feel sorry for myself.

It's all so scary, I've had such a weird relationship with food for such a long time, it's like I'm in mourning with the thought of actually using methods of coping with life other than food.

Okay, off my sorry horse, and on to therapy, and eventually living a life where I have a healthy relationship with food!

poet_kelly
on 12/12/14 8:09 am - OH

I think starting therapy  now is a great idea.  Better to do it now than to wait until you've had surgery and had complications or experienced regain and then have to deal with that on top of doing the head work.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

The Salty Hag
on 12/12/14 9:04 am
RNY on 05/20/13

You are doing things the way they should be done!! I don't know you, but I'm damn proud of you!! You are awesome! 

I know it is sucky to wait, but you will be so much better off in the long run. 

I wish more people had your insight. 

Round of applause for being brave and taking the time to fix your food issues. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Gwen M.
on 12/12/14 10:34 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This is great!  I started seeing a therapist a few months pre-op and it's been super beneficial for me.   I was prepared to need to check out a few before I found one I clicked with, but I lucked out and really like the first one I met with!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/12/14 11:39 am - OH

Good for you!!  

Keep in mind that you don't have to have every problem behavior elaminated or every emotional issue worked out before surgery... You can continue to work on those things post-op as well, especially if you have enough support from friends, family, a counselor, support groups, online support, etc.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Grim_Traveller
on 12/12/14 12:48 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Good for you. I put surgery off for four months or so, in order to really prepare myself, and I'm glad I did. I see so many on here that do anything to have surgery yesterday, even if they aren't ready. It's refreshing to see a post like yours. Good luck.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

karenp8
on 12/13/14 6:37 am - Brighton, IL

I am proud of you too! I know it stinks to have to wait but now is the time to start addressing issues if you want to have long term success. It is a huge change to not turn to food to deal with life,and a therapist can help you find strategies that will work for you. You will get there yet,and will have much more success because of this big step!

JenniPenny
on 12/13/14 7:05 am - MN

You did the right thing and although it's the worst thing in the  world to wait, you'll be glad you did. You can have the surgery and be successful for the first 6months, year or even a bit more but if you don't get your head in the game this will NOT WORK> I've  been hanging out with post ops for almost 15 yrs. Those that deal with depression, ADD or OCD before, during and after surgery are successful and can and do keep the weight off.Those that don't, regain and  then wonder why.Medication and talk therapy work wonders. You can have all the surgerys you want but if your brain isn't helping you this will be an uphill struggle all the way. Compulsions and other mental illnesses stand in the way of having enough will power and following the rules for this surgery. You made one huge hard decision already, you'll be better off in the end for it - you'll lose what you need to and be able to maintain by getting your thoughts and food relationship in order. I applaud you - I see you as successful down the road because of this. Never second guess a good decision - you'll do great!

and feel free to come here and vent when needed, that's what we're here for.

Jen 14 yrs post op RNY

Judi2
on 12/13/14 8:34 am
RNY on 12/08/14

I began therapy 6 months before I began the process that the insurance required in order for me to be considered. I know that I'm an emotional eater and I needed to learn what to do in the future when I wanted to eat for emotional reasons. What you're doing is the right thing!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 355 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 353 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 280 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 161 views
Recent Topics