what to bring to the hospital?

Mybratboys3
on 12/14/14 1:18 pm

OK I've only been told to show up at a certain time for surgery and to bring a list of my meds, but not my actual meds. What else do I need to bring? I'm planning on a robe, slippers, jammie bottoms (assuming I'll have to wear the gown they supply) and my Cpap. Definitely bringing my laptop, can't go 2 days w/o it. (No, I don't have a smart phone). Toiletries ... but anything I'm not thinking of? Anything in hind site you would have brought? 

Poodlemac
on 12/14/14 2:03 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I'd bring a robe, some lip balm, face moisturizer and laptop. They'll give you socks that are safer for walking than slippers. Jammie bottoms will likely be in the way for the leg massager things and for going to the bathroom in a giant cumbersome hospital gown. Good luck!  It's super exciting!!

crqvingchange
on 12/14/14 2:33 pm

I found that earplugs and a sleep mask came in very handy.  They will be checking your vitals throughout the night, and those of your roommates, so those help you to fall back to sleep. 

selhard
on 12/14/14 10:28 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

The last night in the hospital, I requested a night's sleep without interruption.  My vitals had been good the previous two nights, so the nurse granted my request.  She shut my door and I didn't hear a thing til morning.  What a difference it made!

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/14 3:01 pm
RNY on 11/17/14

I was never able to change into my own jammies because of the IVs. I did wear my robe over the hospital gown the whole time. Warm slipper-socks, pre-moistened face towelettes, ear plugs, chapstick and my cpap mask. That was all I managed to use. 

Poodlemac
on 12/14/14 3:40 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Yes, earplugs would have been great!

selhard
on 12/14/14 10:22 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Even though it wasn't pre-planned, I REALLY liked and felt better when my DD surprised me on discharge day to wash, dry, and curl iron my hair before leaving the hospital.  I'd wear home the same clothes you came in--stretchy, loose, and warm.  I think it's important to focus on walking, sipping water, and grilling nurses for helpful information above all else (my way of saying, "consider leaving electronics at home.").  I was not in the mood to have visitors and wished none had came. 

Poodlemac
on 12/14/14 10:27 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

You likely won't use your computer much. I'd try but fell asleep quickly. I agree about not being in the mood to visit, but I did want someone there!

Chilipepper
on 12/15/14 1:15 am

Chapstick. I wear the same thing home that I wore in so make it lose and easy to put on and off. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Cac435
on 12/15/14 3:26 am

biotene mouth wash....my mouth was soooo dry. this helped so much

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 399 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 390 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 280 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 327 views