Vitamins question

Marivonne Diaz
on 12/22/14 5:46 pm - Austin, TX

How soon after surgery can I start taking pills? I take metformin which is really big, also, I know I will have to take my vitamins

HugsMarivonne  375/332/195/160 consult day/surgery/actual/goal  

InTransition
on 12/22/14 7:56 pm
RNY on 09/08/14

The nutritionist from your surgeon's office as well as the pharmacist at the hospital will go over with you what you need to do before you check out.  A friend of mine who had vsg has to crush her metformin, and still does - she's about 8 months out.  Some of your meds you can get in liquid forms, so they'll give them to you that way (they did for me with my thyroid medicine).  I can take small pills, like ambien.  For your vitamins, you'll do chewables for the forseeable future.  Your surgeon's office may provide you with a sample pack, but if not, Celebrate does a good one for $3 + shipping.  I like the celebrate multivitamin soft chews, and the calcet creamy bites.  I also have to supplement with iron due to anemia (pre-surgery), so I do a chewable 60mg iron from Celebrate.

InTransition
on 12/22/14 7:57 pm
RNY on 09/08/14

But also note - your surgeon probably won't have you start vitamins until the checkup post surgery.  Mine was at 1 week out.

poet_kelly
on 12/22/14 11:25 pm - OH

The ASMBS recommends starting your multi and iron as soon as you are discharged  from the hospital and some surgeons do follow their nutritional guidelines.  I started all my vitamins the day after surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

karenp8
on 12/22/14 9:21 pm - Brighton, IL

Every surgeon is different. Mine had us start our vitamins when we started our preop diet one or two weeks before surgery. We were told we could swallow whole any pill the size of an m&m or smaller and to cut large pills like multis with a pill cutter. I never used chewables after I used up the samples they gave us and though they recommend bariatric vitamins(I suspect because they sell them in their pharmacy) I have used 2 Centrums a day and my two year blood work was perfect. I took my vitamins with the multis cut the first day home from the hospital.

chulbert
on 12/22/14 9:45 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I took pills the next day.  I don't know how big metformin is but I'm sure your surgeon will have advice.

bee28
on 12/22/14 10:10 pm - Sarnia, Canada
RNY on 12/09/14

I went all out to find chewable vitamins before surgery (because that's what the program asked for) but I was taking pills in the hospital 2 days after my surgery. As long as you can swallow the pill there shouldn't be an issue (which I'm glad about because chewable vitamins are disgusting!)

So if you can manage to swallow pills you shouldn't have an issue with metformin.

poet_kelly
on 12/22/14 11:24 pm - OH

I was able to swallow pills about 12 hours after my operation.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Marivonne Diaz
on 12/23/14 12:26 am - Austin, TX

thanks all!

HugsMarivonne  375/332/195/160 consult day/surgery/actual/goal  

Most Active
Recent Topics