Now why are people telling me I am too thin?

nnylear
on 12/29/14 10:30 am
RNY on 06/03/14

I am 6 months out, and I am 11.6lbs from my goal.  I was a 3x shirt and now am a small - med,  I was a size 20 pants and now I just bought my 1st pair of size 5/6.  After seeing people at Christmas family and friends, people are saying I am too thin or to stop losing weight.   Before I was too fat now, I am at a healthy weight, and I am too thin? 

This sometimes makes me want to eat, sometimes it makes me want to keep going even more.. Who are people to tell me to stop, it is not their body.  

I started out at 296lbs my heaviest weight; I am 161.6.  It has taken so long the last month to drop 4lbs.  I went in for my 6 month I was 165...Now I am 161.6.  I would like to see me under 160 before the new year.  Too funny.  But I was on 950 cal and during Christmas I bumped it up, and when I grabbed something off of the table, it was loaded with protein.  I thought for sure I was going to gain weight because I never eat between meals.  Just my protein shake..But I have to change the way I make them because my Iron is too high.  (Did you know good unsweetened Coco has 15% Iron).  I had the 2 times a day in my protein shake.  Well, anyways I am now eating 1300 cal, mostly Veggies with 3-4 oz of protein a meal and 2 protein shakes, and I am losing weight again.  Not sure what to do.. 

I thought for sure I was going to gain weight because I never eat between meals.  Just my protein shake..But I have to change the way I make them because my Iron is too high.  (Did you know good unsweetened Coco has 15% Iron).  I had the 2 times a day in my protein shake.  Well, anyways I am now eating 1300 cal, mostly Veggies with 3-4 oz of protein a meal and 2 protein shakes, and I am losing weight again.  Not sure what to do.. Do I email the dietitian? what do some of you do for calorie intake? Oh yeah! I do work out at least 3 days a week.  Intense Arc training.  

Heaviest 296,  Starting 286, Post-Op 255, Goal 150

White Dove
on 12/29/14 10:55 am - Warren, OH

If you relax and let nature take its course your body will stop losing when it is ready.  You are not going to waste away to nothing.  To maintain at 161 you need at least 1600 calories a day.

I personally enjoyed about a year of being too skinny.  Just to others, but my BMI was fine.  It is your journey and your chance to lose weight easily.  It will never again be this easy.  My body filled out again after a year and I gained back some weight. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

karenp8
on 12/29/14 11:14 am - Brighton, IL

White Dove has given you great advice. People think you are too thin because they are used to seeing you heavy. Many people do not really have a concept of what a normal bmi looks like because portions are getting bigger and so are we. Just let your body go to its stopping place and enjoy being thin for a change. Congratulations on your amazing journey too!

The Salty Hag
on 12/29/14 9:59 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Like Karen said, people were used to seeing you heavy. It's a shock to see someone you knew to look a certain way "suddenly" looking completely different. Years ago, during a visit back home, I saw one of my friends from school. She'd had WLS and she was 140 lbs. thinner than the last time I'd seen her. I am sure I seemed like a blubbering idiot....lol...I was just so stunned at her appearance. Happy for her, but stunned nonetheless. 

I don't see my father-in-law very often, maybe 4 or 5 times a year, and he has been the only one to tell me I'm too thin...that I need to stop...I'm going to disappear...yada yada yada... He's been telling me this since I hit about 160. I just let it go in one ear and out the other. He was freaked out when I told him at our family Christmas gathering that I'd hit my goal, but wanted to go at least 10 lbs. lower. I explained things to him like White Dove did above. He still looked dubious, but it shut him up.  ( why he cares so much, I'll never know. )

YOU have to decide how you feel about your weight and appearance. You are 100% correct; it's your body. If you want to lose more, keep at it! I am 19 months out and not even close to considering maintaining my weight. I'm technically at goal ( The goal I set that is: my doc's goal for me was 151.5. ), but want to get down as low as I can without feeling I look too thin or not feeling well. I don't remember how old I was when I weighed 120-125 so I have no clue how I'll feel or how I will look. Luckily, my hubby, kids, and friends haven't ever pulled the "you're too skinny!" thing with me, so no one is inside my head trying to make me doubt where I stand weight-wise. 

You've done really well. Good luck with the rest of your journey!! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 392 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 497 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 478 views