Non-diabetic hypoglycemia- what do you do?

drmroth
on 1/7/15 2:42 pm, edited 1/7/15 3:32 pm

I posted last week about my blood glucose levels and so I started to keep a blood glucose journal to track my levels. My endocrinologist said that I have hypoglycemia and that I need to eat more often. Anyone else have experience with this?

poet_kelly
on 1/7/15 2:54 pm - OH

Yeah, I think it's fairly common for RNY folks a few years post op.  I eat about every three hours and try to have some protein and some carbs at each meal/snack.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/7/15 8:10 pm

There are 2 types of hypoglycemia, the regular fasting- when you don't eat enough or often enough. And second is Reactive hypoglycemia. 

The first one -you need to eat more often, and be careful what you eat. 

The second - is low blood sugar because you body overreacted to csrbs/sugars in you meal, and you will see drop in BS app 1-2 hrs after a meal. 

The RH can be control by a diet - avoiding simple carbs and eating proteins and fat together with small amont of complex carbs. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

drmroth
on 1/7/15 10:11 pm, edited 1/11/15 10:11 pm

Thank you for your response. It appears as though I'm experiencing both types of hypoglycemia that you mentioned. I'm sticking with mostly chicken and some broccoli until things settle down. I'm 6 months post-op. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/7/15 11:18 pm

Based on my own experience - I need to add fat to my diet. Avocado, coconut oil, butter, nuts, etc. Low fat - high protein diet - still make me have RH episodes. Our body makes insulin in response to proteins also... so eating lean proteins without carbs or fat (i.e. no fat, no carbs -water based protein shake)  - may result in RH an hour or so later.. been there way too many times... before I understood what is going on. 

I used to get horrible hypoglycemia in the morning or in a middle of the night - until I discovered that eating a 1 oz of nuts just before bed made a huge difference. (brazil nuts, pecans, almonds)

With my severe H and RH - I finally was able to see great endocrinology and I was diagnosed with SAI - secondary adrenal insufficiency - my body does not make enough cortisol and the hormone is needed to balance blood sugar and blood pressure...

So now i am on cortisone supplements (yes, steroids, and no - it does not make me gain weight if I use it as needed)

Watch for Hypoglycemia while exercising.  Eating some nut butter (NSA) made a huge difference for me...(now i just take little more cortisone - that my body needs if I exercise)

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

drmroth
on 1/8/15 12:17 pm

Too funny-  I have secondary adrenal insufficiency as well. I have pan-hypopituitarism which means I have to supplement a lot of my hormones (thyroid, progesterone, GH, cortisol) with pills and shots. I'm on a steroid pump that delivers hydrocortizone subcutaneously into my body throughout the day and I take growth hormone injections daily. As you know both the steroids and the GH shots effect sugar levels. 

I was wondering if you've had any other issues due to your adrenal insufficiency. Do you have problems with decreased energy?

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/8/15 12:43 pm, edited 1/8/15 12:50 pm

Not low energy as long as I take my cortisone.. I have to be really careful with that. Not enough.. And I feel like s zombie..too much - raging ***** Ugh... 

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/8/15 12:48 pm, edited 1/8/15 12:52 pm

But I am also on estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. 

Everything. Everything else very good.  My T3 are low but we think is due to low carb diet. 

Adding real fat to my diet really makes my life worth living. Nuts. Coconuts, avocado, bacon, bacon fat, ghee, etc.Really helps. It is a fine line between fat flash (runs when u get too many fats) and enough fat to keep my BS and gut  happy. 

SIA is a nasty bug to have. My pit works..then it does not... Or works in overdrive... Not cool. 

STB
on 1/7/15 10:49 pm
RNY on 07/21/14

I had this for about a month post op but it seems to have corrected itself. Good luck!

SHARON  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 372 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 314 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 111 views