Drain Slow and Low Volume

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/7/15 8:36 am

I'm with Grim; chicken is tough for some of us and so are eggs. If you want to take another run at chicken, I recommend dark meat and not canned, which really tends to be dry. I also did okay with tuna, yogurt, and cottage cheese. You could also try some beans, which most people seem to tolerate.

Some of us have a hard time eating a little too fast as well, even if we think we are eating slowly, and then overeat. The first time I got sick was chicken. It was kind of dry and did not sit well. Lesson learned for me; now I know it has to be very moist and to chew the daylights out of it.

I would say to be careful of soup only because the puree will not keep you satisfied for long.

Some surgeons are quite conservative in their protocols. It sounds as if your surgeon is.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Hackeynut
on 1/7/15 9:17 am
RNY on 12/15/14 with

I'm having the exact opposite fear.  I'm 4 weeks post op and I am just eating soups, but I feel like I could eat a half cup of soup if I wanted to.  I've been careful at how much I ingest, but I'm a bit nervous long term.  The weight has been falling off me but I want to keep it that way.

Poodlemac
on 1/7/15 11:18 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I'm a little over 3 mos post op and to this day water is the hardest thing for me to tolerate. Almonds and beef are next.  I can not explain it but I give you kudos for sticking to clear liquids for a month. I'd have jumped off a cliff or something. That was a miserable time!  Sorry you're having problems. Hope it all gets sorted out for you soon. 

Bagspacked
on 1/7/15 11:37 am

Thanks guys, I appreciate the guidance. And no, I'm not a troll. I am 6'3" and now 240 pounds hoping I don't lose too much due to these complications. I will inquire about the endoscopy to rule out stricture, and not feel so bad about my volume issues. Thanks

SkinnyScientist
on 1/7/15 11:36 pm

I meant troll in this sense "One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument."

If you legitamately had this problem, please accept my apologies.  However, your statement about your doc saying that you ate double of what it should, and the statement (which I interpreted) to be eating and drinking at the same time (which is a "no-no" for most surgeons), lead me to conclude that you were intentionally trying stir things up.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Bagspacked
on 1/8/15 7:06 am

No, I am sorry if I stated my problem incorrectly. I had eaten the chicken and then tried to drink water about 30 minutes later, which should be compliant with my doctor's instructions. And volume wise, she said that she wanted me to have 1 Nyquil size cap of food while I had eaten approximately 2 Nyquil size caps.

I have no idea what a troll is or why anyone would post anything here to deliberately cause disruption or argument. I thought this was a place for new people to come and post their concerns and hopefully get help or advice.

SkinnyScientist
on 1/8/15 7:45 am

Wow. I nyquil cup. Now THAT is obtuse. No wonder an accident happened.

As far as trolling, one would not believe what some people post on internet boards and comments section.  There really is a very bored (and mentally sick) segment of society that deliberately seek to be mean, sarcastic, make fun of others, and inflame.

I have been morbidly obese for a good segment of my adult life. Particularly as a young dating adult (i.e. mid-late 20's to most of my 30s) I have ran into a fair share of these turds on the internet and in real life.  Hence, i am hypersensitive to being made fun of due to my weight.  I am particularly hyper-sensitive to those that make fun of those of us that choose surgery. It was a hard decision to reach and also a "not-easy" road to walk, as you have experienced.

Again, I am sorry and i hope that we can be friends in the near future.  Or, in the very least, allies in the battle against morbid obesity!

Good luck to you. And I hope your surgeon gives more precise quanities that "a nyQuil cap"  as I have checked my cap and there is TWO lines (i.e. two volumes). Or did she want you to fill that cap up to the top?

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Bagspacked
on 1/8/15 11:19 am

No worries. I'm just concerned, and someone suggested I gather opinions here.

crazy4birds
on 1/7/15 11:47 am
RNY on 12/02/14

I am finding that when I over eat, eat too fast, or just don't chew properly I get that stuck feeling.  I add water and up it comes, thank goodness, cause that's the only way I feel better.  I read somewhere that it's like pouring water in a clogged sink, it has nowhere to go. I am 5 weeks post op and still in the just learning to retrain myself stage.  I am allowed 4 oz but mostly I eat about 2 oz. Congrats on your weight loss. 

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130 

Bagspacked
on 1/8/15 7:08 am

Thank you. The stuck feeling is exactly what I get. Also, my heart starts beating really hard. Just seems very disturbing. Wondering if I will ever get to eat food again. I will heed your advice. chew chew chew, slow slow slow. Thanks!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 280 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views