nervous

Chavon1
on 1/8/15 11:50 am - Pensacola, FL

My surgery is in 24 days! I'm so nervous. When I had my upper endoscopy, my surgeon told me that since my BMI is so high, he may have to do the gastric sleeve and not the full RNY like I've been planning.  I know it's not up to me and it's for my safety. The thing most unsettling is I won't know which procedure I've had until I wake up from surgery. Please send positive vibes and prayers my way. I just hope whatever the outcome, I just want to succeed.  Peace and love!!

stojenjo
on 1/8/15 2:42 pm - High Point, NC

This is kind of a big deal and it would be a little worrisome if you weren't a little nervous. :)

I got the same news when I went to sign my consent. I heard my surgeon out and then let him know that I would really prefer my bypass, if it was possible. But, the only other option was to say "all or nothing" and having him get in there, see he couldn't do it and back out with nothing done. That was not a real option for me. As it turned out, he managed the bypass,which was my first question upon waking up from anesthesia. 

At some point, if you have done your homework, asked your questions, informed yourself adequately and still make the decision to go through with this, you have to trust the path and let go. Not to say I didn't have my own anxiety. The night before was torture, but the day of, I was very calm. 

I wish you the very best. I am so happy with my decision and I hope you are, too. 

Chavon1
on 1/8/15 2:51 pm - Pensacola, FL

This is exactly what I needed. Thank you so very much!  I wasn't sure if anyone else has gone through this or not. I am so very happy to hear that your surgeon was able to do the full RNY!! I will be meeting with my surgeon on the 27th of this month for my final appointment before my big day. I am going to make sure that I give him a reminder that I would really prefer the RNY but my trust is in his hands. I am so glad to hear you are doing well. Thank you again! I appreciate you sharing this with me and also for the kind words. Be blessed. 

STB
on 1/9/15 12:40 am
RNY on 07/21/14

I think that to trust him to do what he need to for your health is important. Either way, you will have a tool to help you be successful. I wanted VSG but couldn't due to reflux issue so ended up with a RNY (which I knew prior to surgery) and it took some changing in my mindset but I did it and all is well. I agree that being nervous is normal and it would be worrisome if you weren't. Before you know it, you will be on the other side of the surgery and starting your new life!!

SHARON  

Chavon1
on 1/9/15 12:44 am - Pensacola, FL

Thank you so very much for sharing this with me! You are right, I have to trust my surgeon fully and I will have a new tool in my life that will help me lose weight, whichever one I get.  I am ready for my day to be here! 23 days now and counting!  I hope that you have a wonderful Friday and I am glad to hear you are well. Be blessed! 

kayleystar
on 1/9/15 10:12 am
RNY on 01/06/15

Oh wow! When I went for my initial consult, I thought I wanted the sleeve, however due to my BMI (over 60), my surgeon HIGHLY recommended the RNY.

I'm sure this is a dumb question for me to ask, but have you discussed this with your surgeon? 

I'll keep you in my thoughts, and I hope you're able to join me in the RNY Club!

Highest Weight: 412 | Day of Surgery: 385 | Current: 341
Surgery Date: 1/6/2015 

Chavon1
on 1/9/15 10:17 am - Pensacola, FL

I have definitely tried talking to my surgeon about it. I have my final apt him right before my surgery at the end of this month, I am going to make sure I tell him that I really really want to get the RNY. I hope I get to join the RNY club! Thank you for the kind words and encouragement!  Be blessed 

LilyBeez813
on 1/9/15 11:53 am
RNY on 11/12/14

Either surgery you end up with you will be successful!! I know many "sleevers" that have been big losers, as in weight loss. They have regained only their health and well being. I chose RNY and had to plead with my surgeon not to do the sleeve and having the research in hand at my pre op appointments, I was able to have the RNY November 12th. I am down over 40 lbs. My A1C went from 7.8 to 6.1, and I learned the hard way that sweets and RNY lead to dumping syndrome and that was the most unpleasant experience. I wish you the best outcome and much success. Being nervous is quite appropriate. THIS IS A BIG DEAL! You are taking control of your health.

The journey has finally started!! Lily B~

Chavon1
on 1/9/15 11:59 am - Pensacola, FL

I am just praying that I get the full RNY but I know that whichever one I get.. it was meant to be. I am glad to hear that you know of sleevers who have had success,  that is my main goal. You are kicking butt! 40 lbs is awesome!! Keep me updated and I wish you much more success. Be blessed 

MyLady Heidi
on 1/10/15 9:28 pm

I have never heard of such a thing, typically with a high bmi rny or ds is indicated, is the plan to do the sleeve and finish the ds later?  You need more information from your surgeon.  Good luck.

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 374 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 488 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 470 views