Feedback from patients of Dr. Schauer at the Cleveland Clinic BMI?

Kara D.
on 3/14/15 9:48 am
VSG on 03/02/15

Dr. Schauer will be my surgeon and I have talked to a couple people who had surgery with him, but I am curious what others thought of him?

SkinnyScientist
on 3/14/15 5:39 pm

I have not heard of him.

However, a SECOND question you should have is how good is his support/allied health staff (i.e. his surgical PA, nutritionist, and psychologist)?

Dude will operate on you once, and you will likely never see him again.

However, I talk to/write my surgeons Nutritionist and or surgical PA at least monthly and often more in the beginning. I stand especially close to the nutrionist.  I write her asking whether a particular recipe is good/healthy. I ask her how to make it better and will a substitution work. For example, can I really substitute avocado for mayo? Is it REALLY better given the calories in an avacado?

My body fat is about 14%. My guy personal trainer was/is  worried about me losing my period.  Questions asked are "Am I eating enough? Will I get too low in body weight and lose my period?"  Answers: Not likely. At some point our RNY bodies just stop losing.

i ask them lots of questions about exercise especially running when I first got started.you need a responsive support team!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

selhard
on 3/14/15 11:05 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Second the reply.  A friendly suggestion would be to talk to Dr. Schauer's support staff to get a feel what they have to say about him.  I haven't seen or talked with my surgeon since the day of surgery but have had lot of interaction with the PA, nurses, NUTS, and support group leader.

RainbowRN
on 3/16/15 5:28 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

I had my surgery at the clinic.  I had dr brethauer but my wife had dr schauer. The whole team is amazing.  I'm 2 years post op and have lost 178 lbs.  my wife has lost 150 lbs.  dr schauer is actually famous in this area for his surgeries.  You will be in good hands. If u have any questions, feel free to message me. ;)

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

Kara D.
on 3/16/15 11:59 pm
VSG on 03/02/15

Thank you for the reply. I am glad to hear you are both doing well and have had success. I am impressed with Dr. Schauer, I was curious what others thought. What is his follow up team like, the nutritionist, psych people I met are great. Are the ones you meet pre-op the same people post-op? 

RainbowRN
on 3/17/15 12:21 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

Pre op and post op are all the same people. It's a great team. 

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

Kathy S.
on 3/17/15 3:58 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Kara,

Here is a link to Dr. Schauer's profile page reviews. We hope this helps!

Philip Schauer, M.D.,F.A.C.S. Bariatric Surgeon - ObesityHelp   DrSchauer has gone above and beyond to work with me and my schedule as an out of town patient. His surgical team, including Dr. Dua, is fabulous. www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-philip-schauer/reviews

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
Recent Topics