Elevated TSH Level

Deana_
on 3/16/15 5:22 am

I am just about 3 months out from RNY. Got a call from my surgeon because they did some bloodwork a week ago on me. My TSH level is a 6.something. I have to go to my primary care doctor now in regards to this.

Does this mean i have hyperthyroidism? What does this mean for me and my surgery? Does it prevent me from losing weight? Will i gain? 

Is this a simple fix with a pill every day and is it common for this to happen?

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/16/15 6:06 am

only yourdoc can answer that question... until then - just try to relax.. 

IMO - 6 is just borderline..  it may require more testing.. 

also - sometimes - if we don;'t get enough enough vitamins / minerals- our thyroid get sluggish  and that raises TSH to kick it up a notch... 

Good luck...

At one time my TSH got higher because I was using too much soy and that affected my thyroid..once i gave up soy completely and ate more fish and seaweed - my thyroid start working very nicely..

but- don't take anything until your doc can confirm what is going on..   you do not want to take any supplement if you don't know if you are missing any...  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 318 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 236 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 299 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views