Tired of hearing people tell me over and over how good I look, etc and I had RNY 3.5 years ago

Cheryl N.
on 3/16/15 6:16 am - Des Moines, WA

Anyone feel this way? 

I'm just getting weary of hearing it over and over esp from same people that they say wow you are skinny, much better than before, etc.  I just say thanks and drop the subject.  It's just old subject to me as it has been over 3 years now.  I feel like some people just seem to focus on people's looks rather than personality, etc.  

Ugh, just had to vent.  

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/15 9:01 am

I will say I used to be very uncomfortable when people would tell me how good I look now that I lost the weight. I think if they are your real friends they wouldn't care either way. 

I will take a compliment any day of the week. 

STB
on 3/16/15 9:08 am
RNY on 07/21/14

After 3.5 years I would be tired of it too. It seems like they have nothing in common with you if that is all they can come up with to say

SHARON  

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/15 10:18 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I can completely understand that. I'm still enjoying most compliments since I'm only partway through my journey (and not even to the surgery part yet), but it digs deep when people unintentionally insult who you are as a person by painting you as so much "better" just because you've lost weight. My 92-year-old grandmother is notorious for this. Once my dad told her I'd lost some weight, she started calling me EVERY WEEK just to ask how much I've lost.  

april89love
on 3/16/15 11:32 am - NC

I'm four years out and it never gets old! I love the compliments.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

Chilipepper
on 3/16/15 12:36 pm

That is terrible...those rude people taking time out of their lives to give you a compliment. How dare them. Where do they get off saying something nice to you.  Why did you have weightloss surgery. It was solely for health reasons right?  Not because you where fat and felt uncomfortable in your skin.  You had weightloss surgery for your mind right? 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

SkinnyScientist
on 3/16/15 7:22 pm

Hi. Some people are introverts and really don't like to "stand out" in anyway.  Perhaps she meant that she is tired of having the limelight shown on her and standing out?  Even more so now that she has moved on and has a skinny mind set?

With that said, I love hearing how good I look!  Especially when I get a new outfit and think it looks great.  Just hearing that others do too makes me very happy.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Chilipepper
on 3/16/15 11:46 pm

No need to explain...I'm a grown up. Thank you. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

SkinnyScientist
on 3/16/15 7:19 pm

I understand how tiring it COULD be.

But, you are HOT. So they are probably just kicking themselves that they didn't recognize it before.

And then you are actually non-shallow. So hot + non-shallow = "How could I have not noticed all the wonderful traits that this person had to offer before!?!?!?"

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

NurseGin
on 3/16/15 10:19 pm

God i know how u feel. People tel me "your so skinny or your too thin"!... do they want me to punch them. It gets on my last nerve. Sometimes i explain myself... but usually i smile n say ah ok.

I never thought id hear that but its ok... deep down i love it n in my head i say DAM RIGHT 

Alot of people also say... idk how ur so thin. Everytime i c u your eating. Which is prob true as im a nurse n keep my snacks in my pocket n top of med cart but its not like a meal cuz god know theres no time for that but im also not eating junk.... although from time to.time i do cuz i dont deprieve myself. 

I usually am.snacking on things such as: nuts, fruit, pbj, high protein pretzels, cheese sticks or veggies cut up.

Anyway.....i know how u feel... your not alone... just dk what to say to mke it better other than smile  😆  hugs

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 319 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 237 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views