Surgeon

jackieboy331
on 3/19/15 8:52 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Does anyone know anything about Dr. Mark Bessler at New York Presbytarian hospital in NYC. I'm scheduled for surgery with him and had an appointment with him yesterday. Frankly he scares the heck out of me. I wanted the sleeve and he convinced me to do the RNY for multiple reasons.

selhard
on 3/19/15 2:18 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I don't know this surgeon, however...  First and foremost, do you have confidence in putting yourself in his hands?  Are you 100% on board with RNY being the right decision? Seems to me, things would go better for you if your answers to both are "yes."

jackieboy331
on 3/19/15 8:33 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks for your reply. I think he is a good surgeon however his demeanor is very rough and he has no patience for questions or indecision. I preferred the vsg but, because I had a lap band he said it won't be good. He says to do the ray and keep the band for extra precaution. My main concern is the long term effects of malabsorption because of the re routing of your insides. Also, the greater risks involved with the surgery. 

Poodlemac
on 3/20/15 3:29 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I am by no means an expert, but I think I'd be more concerned about him wanting to leave the band in place. I've never heard of such a thing. I was all set for a sleeve when my doctor recommended RNY due to my comorbidities. It took me a couple of weeks to fully embrace the idea, but I'm very happy I did. If you have GERD or diabetes, my understanding is it tends to be a better choice than the sleeve. 

jackieboy331
on 3/20/15 5:55 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks for your response. I did bring that up to him regarding the band. Firstly the insurance company didn't approve the removal because it is not causing any problems. He also feels that further down the road it may serve as extra restriction wit a small fill if I may need it. I told him that I prefer not but he suggested strongly that I keep it. Can anybody address the malabsorption of nutrients etc. longer term post op. 

Jfried
on 3/21/15 12:24 pm

Can anyone tell me if they had surgery with Dr. Mark Bessler. Please

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 329 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 339 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 457 views