Starting pre op diet

jackieboy331
on 4/11/15 1:08 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Hi family. My surgery is May 4th. I just finished the passover holiday which was brutal food wise. I am determined to make this work, because, I do not have any other choice, if I want to live. I am very fearful on multiple fronts. First, I fear I will not make it through the pre op stage in one piece. Secondly, I fear the surgery itself. Third the recovery stage, and will I be able to follow the eating regiment properly. liquid, mushy, soft and finally regular. I am very busy with a new venture at business which will require me to travel post op I'm scared of making choices overseas, and getting sick, with my history of not being able to control my food intake, in the past. I also live in a house that food is a priority, and unhealthy long meals are the norm. A wife, that does not want to change her ways, so, I have to be prepared to do, what I have to do, on my own as well. Please, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to take care of myself trough this journey, with the situations I mentioned. It is great to have a forum of experienced rny'ers to get encouragement and help from, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

mornings
on 4/11/15 2:46 pm - Canada

first off , hello from Canada and congrats on your upcoming surgery  , my revision RNY surgery is just  may 26th so the same month as you ,   im gonna say this , you should be proud of yourself got  taking notice of what is healthy and whats not that's actually a very important step  , the same as being nervious  that's a completely normal feeling .  but I look at it this way ,  Your still here  .. Your changing your life to better You and Your health  and making  choices is always scary for most people  but  look at it this way   Your starting over ,   just like a new birthday for you ,,  You have so many others like me on here who will  think about you and will talk whenever your feeling confused or  down about something ,,   not everyone has a support system which sometimes is hard  but  maybe that  other person is dealing with there own issues like perhaps  trying to come to grips with you being different  maybe even some insecurities there ,,   my  feeling is always  communication  works  ,,   take a evening  just  maybe both of you , talk  about your feelings,,,  your fears and perhaps ways that  the unhealthy food can be put someplace  different to help you with your new start in life , also maybe even doing your own personal shopping  and finding healthy stuff only you will enjoy  or encourage  your family to join in and try ,,,    traveling is sometimes tricky but  I learned from my first surgery  that  kids menus work wonders ,  salads  as well and everywhere almost has salads ,    try to not stress yourself and just take this one day at a time ,     You have a purpose in life   like everyone does ,  so many had this surgery and come out doing  wonderful which I know you will as well ,    its like closing your eyes and waking up to a new beginning ,     were all on this journey   day and night someone is always in this form who  like you needs a friend ,    Im here if you need  support  after all were in the same surgery month so  I will be thinking and watching the form to hear  how good you feel after surgery ,    like many others on here ,we all experience  almost everything you do ,   You have lots of  surgery buddies now   feel free to vent anytime you need  ,,,  lots of people give  the best advice on here ,   food   suggestions ,   you will always get on here and  once this is over with you will smile all the time ,    wishing you the best  feel free to vent anytime  something is on your mind ,  try to  relax and take a deep breath because  you get a new start  very soon with lots of new friends now

jackieboy331
on 4/11/15 3:30 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It really helps. Good luck to you as well. I'm here if you need me.

mornings
on 4/11/15 5:32 pm - Canada

support is something  everyone needs ,   when you go thru this your gonna be amazed at how really  well you did and will keep doing  ,  I know im gonna see lots of  proud posts on your wall  I just feel it

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/15 2:48 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Hey, we're surgery date twins!    I start the pre-op process next Monday and am similarly scared, although I'm lucky enough that my husband is having his WLS a week after mine and is willing to do the pre-op diet for 3 weeks instead of 2 so we can start at the same time. I completely understand your fears about the food stages, too. I'm going to a national conference 5 weeks after surgery, and I have no idea what I'll be able to eat. I'm traveling by Amtrak and am already looking up dining car menus, lol. Can you take your own food at all? I made sure to get a hotel with a fridge, and I'm planning to take my own cooler of cheese sticks and Greek yogurt just in case.

I'm sorry your wife isn't willing to change her ways right now. You can't force her to change, but you can lead by example and see if she might decide to make a change on her own later down the road. Sorry I can't offer any wisdom from experience as I'm still pre-op too, but I can at least sympathize with your worries. Good luck to you!

Ohiodietguy
on 4/14/15 1:06 pm

Hello I am new here. What is pre op diet for RNY?

I am just starting the process. The insurance co is requiring six mos counseling with a dietician.  Not sure if insurance will approve or not?  Any words of advice or wisdom greatly appreciated  Thanks!

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 329 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 339 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 456 views