Mixed Emotions

jackieboy331
on 4/18/15 12:04 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Hello everyone. I am starting my second week of my 3 week pre-op diet. I am having a whirlwind of emotions. After a long weekend of thinking, contemplating and rehashing all the possibilities positive and negative, I've come to terms with it. Being a glass empty type of person, anticipating all kinds of negative thoughts. I am at peace with my decision to have the RNY. I know I have try to the best of my ability to do it other ways but, to no avail. I now leave it up to g-d to guide me. It is all in his hands. With the support and encouragement of all you guys I know in my heart I will get through this. I would just like to know how to prepare for the surgery, what to have in the hospital and what to buy for immediately after, until I have the strength to go out and get into full gear for the rest of the items and food that I will need. Once again thanks for all your good wishes. My surgery is May 4th with Dr. Marc Bessler.

99-DS
on 4/18/15 12:54 pm
RNY on 04/09/15

Hi there!  Glad to hear that you are at peace with your decision to have RNY.  That's exactly the word I used when people kept asking me.  I had my surgery on 4/9/15 and am already 24lbs down from my high weight (1 week pre-op liquid diet included).  This isn't going to be easy at all, but again, I'm at peace with the decision to make the rest of my life healthy.  Hang tough and you will do well.  

As far as what to do pre and post op.  I was told to have a long, big robe, ear plugs in case the hospital room was noisy, have my CPAP with me (and make sure I was using it prior to surgery), lip balm (smart buy).  I actually didn't use the robe or the ear plugs during my stay.  Other things I purchased:  a "bed cane" to help getting in an out of bed.  I have a memory foam bed which wasn't the easiest to get out of anyway, but since you can't use your stomach muscles post-surgery for a bit, the bed can really helped.  I bought mine on EBay, but it is also sold on Amazon.  I also made sure I had extra comfy slip on shoes.  I bought a pair of Sketcher walking shoes.  Very light and easy on/off.  Keep in mind that you will have to start walking the day of surgery and keep walking after you get home.  

One thing I did that I should not have....I stocked up on Premier Protein shakes.  My tastes have changed a bit and I can't stand them anymore...way too sweet.  One of the reasons I chose RNY was to deter me from sugar which was my biggest issue.  Well there you go.  Premier Protein shakes were amazing pre-op....30g protein, 1g sugar....but I just gave away a bunch of them because I can barely get one down now.  If you want some protein drinks handy, these are good to start, but I would recommend you don't over-stock them.  I'm going to try Unjury Protein (website purchase and medical quality recommended by my surgeon) next.  They have unflavored and chicken flavored too.

Finally, makes sure you have a person.  My sister came in from CA to assist me and I don't know what I would have done w/o her.  This is a major surgery and the hospital staff were great, but nothing beats your own person if you can have one.  

Good luck and be strong!

NYMom222
on 4/18/15 1:50 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Don't worry about the buying the Premier, your tastes will change again. Things I didn't like in the beginning I like now. Sometimes I flavor them too. My favorite is a squirt of sugar free chocolate syrup and some instant coffee. Makes it Mocha.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

99-DS
on 4/19/15 8:48 am
RNY on 04/09/15

Thanks!  Good to know.

TheBee
on 4/19/15 2:29 pm
RNY on 04/20/15

Why did you feel the need for a "person"?  I've so far refused all offers - but surgery is tomorrow and I'm wondering if I've taken my "independence" a tad too far. What kinds of things did you need her for?

99-DS
on 4/19/15 10:06 pm
RNY on 04/09/15

I'm super independent too and started everything thinking I would go it alone and just ask friends for help here and there.  First, you will NOT be allowed to leave the hospital without "a person"....no taxi, etc.  So that's a bare minimum.  I also had never had surgery before so I went into this thinking...hey, I'll be fine, I'm tough, I have great pain tolerance, etc.  Here's what I personally experienced.  I got through the surgery without issue.  Your darn drugged up the first day, so it's better than the second, but it's still rough.  I had a horrible time with nausea.  The hospital staff where I went were very responsive, but there was a delay a few times and that's when "my person" was amazing (my sister).  I got over having my butt hanging out pretty fast since I felt crappy, but you will be made to walk the first day and you will need to get in/out of bed w/o using your stomach muscles for a while.  The nurses will help you, but it was nice to have my sister handy.  She helped get the nurses to me a little faster, found the button to press a couple times when I couldn't find it.  She was also great for the billion things they try to talk to you about while you are in pain and drugged!  They had a dietician come in at some point which I hardly remember.  You go home with drugs (which I never needed) and talk you through it all, but my sister made sure to understand in case I forgot.  Also, the second day was worse for me than the first day and that's when you have to do trips to the bathroom...it was nice to have my sister handy vs. wait for a nurse.  The second full day after surgery is better by far and I was released that afternoon...sister drove me home.  I think I could have been solo on day four out of surgery, but I was glad my sister was home for one bad experience.  I still don't know what I did wrong...maybe ate too fast or added a wrong puree food...but at 2am I was sick as a dog...dry heaving and hurting.  She made sure my hair was pulled back and kept me as comfortable as she could.  Plus, I am still dealing with periods of exhaustion.  My sister made sure I was recording everything right, encouraged me to walk and also helped me with cleaning up things.  Honestly, as independent as I am, I don't know if I could have done it without her.  Oh, and if you haven't pre-stocked up....you will need someone to get you groceries for puree, etc since you can't lift.  Hard to think of these little things when you usually do it all for yourself.

I hope I'm not responding too late to you (likely I am), but do NOT hesitate to call someone you trust if you need to.  You need the support right now.

TheBee
on 4/19/15 10:36 pm
RNY on 04/20/15

Not too late! Thanks for taking the time to reply! I was shocked when the hospitals did my preregistration over the phone and said I COULD use a taxi! So I cancelled the friend picking me up, but I will have to let her get my scripts. Thanks again!

mornings
on 4/18/15 3:54 pm - Canada

Im excited for you    I too am having the rny  may 26th  so  when you go to have yours done we all im sure will be thinking  about you and waiting for your post   ,,  I think you   made the right decision  you will have lots of support here 

CGCL
on 4/19/15 4:57 am
RNY on 02/19/15

A lot of people ask this question, so I'm including my complete list. The items in bold are what I actually used. I was in the hospital for two nights for my RNY, and I thought for sure I'd use my books. But like many others, I was waaaaaay too sleepy.

Phone  Phone charger  Power strip  CPAP  Book  HeadphonesHeating pad  Pillow for car ride home
Slip on clogs  Warm socksFlavors to mix with water  Lip balm  Robe Shawl Comb  PJsMoisturizer Soap
Maxi pads
Biotein 
Bathroom spray

I also borrowed a walking stick and used it for about the first five weeks. It didn't occur to me to bring it to the hospital and keep in mind the hospital bed moves a lot so so can lift it up and down and tip it etc. to help you get up and down. I was very glad to change into my own pjs the second afternoon once they removed my IV.

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 344 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 342 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 288 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 458 views