Fruit ? for the vets

carimiller9173
on 4/16/15 12:13 am - Wilmington, DE

I was wondering.... I have 80 cals total of strawberries and pineapple (weighed in grams) and was wondering if it is smart 11 weeks out to use calories on fruit.  I get all of my protein (80g+ and 80 oz+ fluid) in per day.  I just feel the need for something different then protein and veggies.  My plan says it's ok, but I do know that fruit has more natural sugars than a veggie would have.  What woud you do??

Pre-op weight 342.5; Surgery 320.7

M 1-10.5

White Dove
on 4/16/15 12:28 am - Warren, OH

I would eat the strawberries and forget the pineapple until maintenance. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

carimiller9173
on 4/16/15 12:42 am - Wilmington, DE

Thanks for the feedback!!

M 1-10.5

SkinnyScientist
on 4/22/15 3:37 am

What she said. Pineapple is medium glyceimic index (i.e. it can cause a blood sugar spike pretty quick..almost as bad as white bread).  Stick to the berries (i.e. blueberries adn strawberries).

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

chulbert
on 4/22/15 4:17 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

The glycemic load, which takes into account actual portions, of pineapple is low.  Glycemic index is pretty useless in my opinion, especially for gastric bypass patients who may not eat even a single serving.  You'd never ea****ermelon again if you looked only at its index.

chulbert
on 4/16/15 1:04 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I think that all fruits and vegetables are wildly nutritious and should be eaten regularly.  The sugars in fruit, moderated by the fiber and whole plant goodness, are exceedingly unlikely to cause any issue whatsoever.

My surgeon includes fruit in his plan almost immediately.

carimiller9173
on 4/16/15 2:19 am - Wilmington, DE

So did mine, especially bananas since they are soft and mushy.  I just know that the natural sugars are higher the veggies and I know, dense protein first, followed by veggies... sometimes I just want to change it up some. 

Thanks for the input.

M 1-10.5

Tracy D.
on 4/16/15 5:20 am, edited 4/16/15 5:58 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Here is my problem with most fruit post-op:  I'm a Type 2 diabetic that was taken off all my medication immediately after surgery.  However, I am not "cured" of diabetes.  So when I eat fruits (especially high-glycemic ones like bananas, pineapple or dried fruit) my blood sugar skyrockets and I am left feeling like hammered dog ****  

What most people don't understand is this:  when our glucose spikes (this applies to anybody, not just diabetics) the body dumps insulin to deal with it.  Insulin sends a signal to the liver to "store fat! store fat!" regardless of how healthy the food is that you just ate or your total calories for the day.  Yes, it is actually possible to stop losing weight and even gain on very low calorie diets if you're eating the wrong thing and sending constant signals to your liver to store fat. 

Fruit - even now in maintenance - isn't the best choice for me.  I do eat it but it's in small amounts and I eat protein first.  I plan for it and I'm careful with it.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

chulbert
on 4/16/15 5:33 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

It's far broader than you describe.  Insulin causes the body to store all the nutrients you eat -- it triggers the body to build and store glycogen from glucose, fat from fatty acids and glycerol, and protein from amino acids.  In a nutshell it simply says, "Hey body there are nutrients in the blood stream!  Don't let them get away!"

All foods cause an insulin response.  In fact, beef has a higher insulin index than pasta.  ;)

Jilly Bean
on 4/16/15 9:54 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

Not exactly correct there on your physiology of the insulin/glucose response.  I'm a diabetes research nurse specializing in Type 2 DM treatments.

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 433 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 163 views
Recent Topics