dumping or something more serious?

brandycain
on 4/21/15 11:47 am

I've been very vigilant in following my program since my big mistake.  Today I was excited to change up my protein drink and have a shake, since I can puree now..  I made me chocolate and used sugar free syrup in it.  Half way through drinking it,  I became sick.  I stopped and felt nauseous.  About 30 min later I got sick but had very little in my stomach.  I assume it's dumping but my upper abdomin  just won't stop hurting.  It's been 3 hours of pain.. 

Does dumping stick around that long?  

-Brandy- 

Surgery April 7th 2015.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/21/15 12:00 pm - OH

Unless you mixed in something else with sugar into the protein shake, there wouldn't be anything in it to cause you to dump (since the syrup was sugar free).  

What the sugar free syrup DOES have is sugar alcohols, tjoigh, and those can make people just as sick (if not more so, for some) than dumping.

Your pain is likely caused by the heaving (even when you don't have anything in your pouch to throw up, it can still take a toll on your body).  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

NYMom222
on 4/21/15 12:04 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Not sure what your Big Mistake was... If your shake was thicker and you drank it too fast, it could cause a lot of discomfort even though it is a liquid. I was thinking too were there any sugar alcohols in all this, that can sometimes not agree with you. I find when something doesn't agree with me for whatever reason, I tend to feel very sensitive....Dumping is when you have too much sugar. So not really dumping if you didn't have sugar.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

rocky513
on 4/21/15 12:45 pm - WI

Not dumping, like everyone else said, dumping involves sugar.  You went from clear liquids to adding thick, protein shakes.  You probably are not ready for them yet and you drank it too fast.  SLOW DOWN.  It should take you 30 minutes to drink an 8-ounce shake.  You could make them with more liquid in them so they are thinner.  If you are still sick you may have to go back to clear liquids for a few days and try again later.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

brandycain
on 4/21/15 1:34 pm

Thank you all.  I'm feeling so much better, but it was horrible.  I think I used too much of the sugar free syrup.  It did have alcohols.  So thankful to have this site to turn too. 

-Brandy- 

Surgery April 7th 2015.

Grim_Traveller
on 4/21/15 8:27 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Sugar alcohols will make me sicker than anything in this world. I read every label that says sugar free. Other sugar substitutes are fine, but I won't go near sugar alcohols.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

White Dove
on 4/21/15 11:42 pm, edited 4/21/15 11:43 pm - Warren, OH

Don't buy sugar-free syrup with an ingredient that ends in  -tol.  Like maltitol or sorbitol.  There are others.

I only use DiVinci sugar-free syrups because they are sweetened with Splenda.  My favorite flavor is cookie dough.

Sometimes the product will say sweetened with Splenda, but when you read the ingredients they use splenda and also sugar alcohols.  I learned that the hard way.  Also read the ingredients.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

auntmimi
on 4/22/15 12:42 am

I CANNOT handle sugar alcohols, either. Talk about SICK! I would rather go without then to tempt fate again after my first "exposure" and "explosion" encounter. Just remember to take your time. I know our heads tell us "hurry up, youre starving" but in all reality our pouches are saying "Slow down, I can only handle so much". Glad your feeling better. 

MyLady Heidi
on 4/22/15 3:00 am

I read on one of your posts I believe you have some sort of ninja blender thing, I can tell you I could NEVER used a blender to make shakes, the air that was added made my stomach hurt.  I used one of those shaker cups like they have at bars to mixed my shakes with ice.  It worked so much better.  Why are you adding anything to protein powder?  Just mix it with your fat free milk or whatever you are using, hold your nose and drink it.  It will be over in 6 weeks, then you never have to drink the crap ever again if you start eating healthy, organic, low fat, low sodium meats, cheeses, dairy and veggies and fruits.  Once you start eating clean your life will change forever.

Dumping is sugar going into your blood too quickly, you got a good dose of sugar alcohol no doubt,  avoid that crap like the plague if you dont want to become one with your toilet.

Kathyjs
on 4/22/15 4:50 am

Long time vet and to this day I can not tolerate syrup. Just because something says sugar free doesn't mean we should have it. Glad you feel better

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 488 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 381 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 373 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 315 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 7 replies · 57 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?