What vitamins do you take and when?

Jackie N.
on 5/1/15 4:49 am
RNY on 06/24/15

I am new to the forum and am looking for some input from those of you who are in the know.  I will be having gastric bypass June 25th.  I am worried about getting enough vitamins after surgery.  My surgeon just told me to take a multi vitamin and iron.  I have researched this forum and found that many of you take more, and at different times of the day.  As of this date, my blood panels are good and I am not taking any supplements.  

Would love to hear from wls veterans!  Thanks so much!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/1/15 6:12 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am only 15 months out -- so I am not a veteran, but I'd be happy to share what I take:

Morning:

Celebrate multi-vitamin chewable (grape)

Celebrate 500 Calcium Citrate Plus chewable (cherry tart)

500 mg C -- blueberry, raspberry and boysenberry chewable

200 mg Magnesium citrate tablet

Celebrate B-50 (every other day)

Celebrate DRY D3 5000 IU twice a week

Late Morning

Celebrate Calcium citrate +500 

Mag citrate 200 mg tablet

Vitamin c and Nature's Plus Vitamin E 400 IU chewable carob flavor

Lunch:

Celebrate multi vitamin chewable grape

Late afternoon (before dinner):

Iron +C 

Bedtime: 

Celebrate Calcium plus 500 chewable

Mag citrate 200 mg tab.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Triksy
on 5/1/15 7:42 am
RNY on 05/20/15

Following this, I am totally overwhelmed by the supplements and I'm doing my best to make sure I get it right.

HW- 380     SW-350     CW-358

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/1/15 7:57 am, edited 5/1/15 7:58 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Please don't be overwhelmed.  Also, keep in mind that some of the things I take are because I need them -- perhaps you will not?  For example, I need the magnesium with my Calcium because I run low and the calcium tends to constipate me.  I take E because it was recommended for my liver.  Generally, I try to follow the guidelines of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery ASMBS -- I don't use Flintstones, aim for 200% of all essential vitamins and minerals, supplement my iron, and use calcium citrate and dry D3.  

I swear to you, it becomes second nature if work on it being a habit.  Also, I don't need to use chewables -- I chose to because it helps me to be compliant!  They are my "candy" for the day.  :-)

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

ShebasMom
on 5/1/15 1:11 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

Most of us started with 2 multi-vitamins, iron and calcium citrate daily (I wonder why he didn't include calcium). Depending on our pre-op labs, also vit D3 and B12. Did you get those levels done? (I was on all 5, 3 weeks post-op) When you have your post-op labs at 3, 6 & 12 months, there can be additional supplements added or increases in dosage.  What helped me was a pill organizer I purchased from CVS. It has 4 time slots a day in 7 day sections. You can pop out each day's section for taking to work etc. 

Do not start taking these other supplements until you ask your doctor. Since I am a nurse (care for sick babies), I am an advocate for myself, but I do discuss my supplement dosages and lab levels with them. I do not like telling people to not follow their doctor's orders, unless it's the wrong type of supplement, such as Flinstones, calcium carbonate (Tums), prescription vit D (which is D2 that the body has to convert to D3) etc.

Donna

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

Jackie N.
on 5/4/15 1:05 am
RNY on 06/24/15

ShebasMom,

Yes, He did tell me additional calcium.  I forgot about that.  Thanks for your input.

ShebasMom
on 5/1/15 1:35 pm, edited 5/1/15 1:38 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

Sorry, I didn't give you a schedule. I do take other supplements, but I am over 3.5 years out. I listed the ones you would be on initially.

MORNING   generic Centrium Silver, 630 mg calcium citrate, B12

NOON  630 mg calcium citrate, dry vit D

EVENING  generic Centrium Silver, 630 mg calcium citrate

BEDTIME  carbonyl iron 

Centrium Silver does not contain iron. Most iron is ferrous sulfate which is very constipating. Carbonyl iron is not constipating. I've been on it since 2 months post-op. 

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

hl1524
on 5/2/15 12:18 am - Austin, TX

Breakfast:500mg calcium(with d3)+ multi + b12

lunch: 500mg calcium(with d3) + multi

dinner: 500mg calcium(with d3) + multi

bed: iron+c

My multi contains no iron, and dose is 3x a day. 

RNY 8/27/2014

JAMStribe
on 5/2/15 4:17 am, edited 5/2/15 4:19 am

There is a nifty little table on AMSBS but I cannot find it.

So try this link http"//weightloss.clevelandclinic.org.  search require vitamins after surgery.

I have a little container that I bought from tupperware I fill every day and carry it with me, so I never miss a dose. 

I am 10 months out with no blood work problems.

I am not perfect but I do not skip my vitamins. 

I still buy bariatric vitamins because if I don't I have to take double the amount and in my opinion was not cheaper. 

My schedule: (approx)

7am: take 2 calcium

10am: multivitamin

1pm after lunch Iron.  ( do not take iron and calcium within 2 hours of each other)

3 ish:  vitamin D (1000iu per md request), stool softener, biotin and b-12

6pm: calcium x 2

before bed: multivitamin

Biotin is my choice. Stool softener is a must in my life.

everything else is required.

Best of luck

CS

poet_kelly
on 5/3/15 2:35 pm - OH

Oh no.  The ASMBS says you need two multivitamins, 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate, iron and B12.  And probably D3.

I take these (some of this is based on my labs)

Breakfast - multi, 500 mg calcium citrate, 50 mg zinc (twice a week), 25,000 vitamin A (twice a week), 50,000 IU D3 (twice a week)

Lunch - 500 mg calcium citrate

Dinner  - multi, 500 mg calcium citrate

Bedtiime - 300 mg iron (carbonyl iron, so elemental iron), 2000 mg vitamin C

B12 shots every other week

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 325 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 278 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 446 views