How much weight do I put into people's remarks about being too thin.

angel91e
on 5/7/15 9:23 pm
RNY on 01/15/14

I'm approx 16 months out and ALL I ever hear from anybody when I see them is how I need to stop losing weight and that I'm so thin it's unattractive.

First off I do want to say I'm not actually too thin my BMI is 22.5 right in the middle of the normal range and as of this morning I'm down to 119 pounds but I'm not all that tall. So I know that right now I'm ok but I was a little surprised when I got up this morning to find out I had lost another few pounds since I had been stable where I was for the last five months or so.

I am not complaining since I wanted a few pounds of cushion for bounce back weight. It's just that all the comments start to make me second guess myself. I can smile and brush off the comments themselves. I have almost enjoyed hearing someone call me too thin for once. What I think I'm looking for is reassurance that my body will know to stop at a healthy weight.

It's not really possible is it to honestly end up too thin????

Angel

HW/217 1st apt/202 SW/191 CW/115

1st goal:140 @9months

2nd goal:130 @11months

3rd goal:115 @16months  

Ladytazz
on 5/8/15 12:10 am

It is possible to end up too thin but not usually for the long term.

Regain is much more common long term then being too thin.

Most people who were morbidly obese and lose most of their weight will hear they are too thin at least once and some times many times.

I had complete strangers commenting on my weight.  I DID get too thin, under 100 lbs, and I did look very unhealthy.  

Several friends had died in that period and it was thought that I had cancer.  One woman I hadn't seen in a while looked at me and burst into tears, grabbed me and asked "What is wrong with you?".  I felt worse for her then I did for me.

Anyway, it is very common to look gaunt and drawn in the face after a big weight loss.  Over time things will redistribute and you will look healthier even without gaining any weight.

Fortunately, as they say, this too shall pass.  Having been a major failure at WLS my first time out I was determined not to sabotage myself by going on an eating free for all.

I have seen that all too often.  Someone looks like they've lost too much weight (even though they may be a normal or even higher than normal BMI) and after hearing that for a while decide it's ok to eat whatever they want to gain some weight.

It never ends well.  They go from being too thin to too much bounce back and it is never easy to lose the regain.

I decided I would take my time and eat healthy and regain in a very slow, deliberate way.  It has worked well for me.  In the past 4 years I have put on nearly 20 lbs, not uncontrollably but very conscientiously.  I figure I averaged about 1/2 lb a month, very manageable.  

I haven't had anyone comment about me being too thin for a long time.  I finally decided that I was at my goal weight.  It took awhile because I really did not know where I would end up or how I would feel but when I hit 120 I decided that I would make that my goal.  My plan is to keep a close eye on things and if I edge up past that weight to start cutting back.

The best advice I got was to lose as much as you can (within reason and a normal BMI) because bounce back can happen and it is good to have that cushion, as you say.  I never really got into the underweight category.  I flirted with 18 for a little while but now I am at about 21 so pretty much in the middle.

Try not to worry about it and if people nag you tell them that you are working with your doctor and he feels you are not too thin and since he is the one with the medical degree that is who you will listen to.  Or something similar but not so blunt, lol.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

karenp8
on 5/8/15 12:21 am - Brighton, IL

Your bmi is in a normal range so I wouldn't worry. My surgeon said that as long as I didn't drop into the underweight range I was good. My surgeon would like me middle of the normal range but my body seems to like the bottom end of normal because of my RA and inability now to take us Nsaids I am happy here. Most Americans have a warped view of what a normal weight is. For instance because I had been obese most of my life people were telling me I had lost enough when I was overweight by most charts. Your body will know when to stop losing so don't worry about it. Just enjoy the new healthy you!

SkinnyScientist
on 5/8/15 3:46 am

none.

i was too thin at 160 lbs.

if i would have listened to them and stopped...i would have remained overweight and a size large 

i kept going to where i eel and look good.  i can lift weights and run miles without sttopping. i am a size small. lots of clohes on clearance rack for smalls.

dont stop until you reach a normal weight/healthy bmi

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

EP1958
on 5/8/15 3:53 am

My point of view is this; "do you feel good?", "are you happy?" then smile and tell people "thank you"....

Ocalasam
on 5/8/15 5:38 am
RNY on 12/18/12

If you are taking your vitamins and eating a healthy diet, with enough calories for your body to function properly, you will stop losing.  If your BMI goes below 18, you should add calories.  Right now you are at a healthy BMI, so enjoy it.  Do you feel good.  At 16 months out, that is a typical time for a lightweight to be at or below goal.  Things aren't challenging yet at 16 months.  That's still total honeymoon.  Things get hard about 24 months when you can eat more and get more comfortable and carbs start to inevitably creep in.  Enjoy the ease while you have it.  Things will get real soon enough!!!  I do not recommend trying to gain weight.  It will surely backfire. 

Ocalasam
on 5/8/15 5:49 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Also, people aren't used to seeing you this thin.  You look like a totally different person, it's uncomfortable for some people.  Some people are also jealous.  Some people just feel that they need to voice their opinion about every topic.  They will get used to the new you and the comments will subside.  I'm 28 months out and I only hear comments now when I see someone who hasn't seen me in a long while.  I went through a period of time (about the same time out you were), where people literally did not even recognize me.  The comments were relentless, and since I don't like a lot of attention, it was so uncomfortable for me.  I would just answer that "I feel good.  I'm good.  I promise."  That would seem to do the trick.  The attention will subside.  It has been more of a journey for you, but it seems that others notice all at once and it's disturbing to them.

iloveravens
on 5/8/15 5:57 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Perfectly said, I completely agree.  My mom called me "anorexic" when I walked in the door last night from the airport.  Ignored it.  :(

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Maria27
on 5/8/15 6:06 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Please don't let that get to you. Either she thought it was a compliment or she is jealous. Either way, that was inappropriate. You are doing fantastic.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

iloveravens
on 5/8/15 6:34 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Sadly, I think it was meant as a compliment.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Most Active
Recent Topics