The dreaded FOAMIES!

stevie95678
on 5/13/15 1:16 pm

And as I was driving into work this morning, being almost 6 weeks out from my surgery date, I was feeling all self assured and ****y that I haven't had any of the dreaded foamies or issues with food getting stuck or anything like that.  So today, the girls at work decided to go for Japanese food at this little place that we all really like.  Ordered teriyaki chicken (without the sauce) and the side salad that comes with it and asked for very light dressing.  Ate one piece -- went down okay.  I waited a few minutes, took another bite and it went down very sloooowwwwly.  Hmm. I thought that I should maybe take a break and started chatting with the girls.  About 4 minutes went by and took another small bite. Chewed forever and swallowed.  OMG!!!  IT'S STUCK.  ACK! My eyes must have bulged out of my head because everyone looked concerned that I might explode or something. I tried to relax but decided to excuse myself and go to the ladies room.  THE DREADED FOAMIES were upon me.  Ack!  Long story short, I got rid of lunch and had to toss the undies because . . . well, you know.  So now I'm back at the office in a dress going commando. Nice.  I'm feeling better and I think I've sworn off chicken for a while.

selhard
on 5/13/15 1:22 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

At support group, we unanimously concluded MSG sometimes used in food at buffets are a contributor to the dreaded foamies, as well.  Here's hoping any future commando days for you are few. 

Sheri R.
on 5/13/15 1:50 pm - Aberdeen, WA

Oh my gosh, Stevie, I almost blew my water out my nose!!  i am so sorry that happened to you but dang it was funny to read.  :) 

I got stuck yesterday on a piece of what I thought was very soft beef.  I am 5 weeks out from surgery today and in the soft-foods phase but apparently soft beef is not soft food.  Ooops.  I was so incredibly sick.  I didn't even know it had gotten stuck in my stoma until I went to eat my medication-laden yogurt and got the foamies.  It was actually VERY uncomfortable for a very long time.  I got scared there for a minute!!  Today it is liquids only for me.  I am terrified of stretching my pouch or causing injury to my suture lines.  Lesson learned!  -

Kathyjs
on 5/13/15 1:51 pm

Been there, done that 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/13/15 5:49 pm

We learn the hard way.  Now i have spare panties in the office. And in a car. ....

Take it easy...that probably irritated the stoma. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SkinnyScientist
on 5/14/15 7:10 am

Me too! I think I could live in my office for a week with all the clean undies I got here

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

GoDawgs1979
on 5/14/15 6:05 am

Hmmm, I'm pre-op and in the midst of lots of research, and I need some info on this.  LOL.  I currently have a lap band, so I know the feeling of something getting stuck.  With a lap band, we then "slime" (barf up slime).

So is "foaming" barfing up foam?  And, uhhh, please explain why you needed new undies.  Ha.  Is it that a high fat food will cause diarrhea?  

SkinnyScientist
on 5/14/15 7:09 am

Oh no!  I feel so bad for you.

And the reason why you have no likes is that NO ONE likes Foamies!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active
Recent Topics