Really amazed at how inaccurate my body fat ratio was

angel91e
on 5/12/15 11:16 am
RNY on 01/15/14

So like most people I was curious about what my body fat percentage was. I wasn't sure what method to use so during the course of my journey I tried a couple of different ones and figured I would average the results. I have a tanita scale (not sure I got the brand name right but hopefully you will know what I mean) and have been taped, used a bod pod, and had it figured by calipers. All these methods listed my body fat around 15% give or take a little which seemed really low and I was concerned so last Friday I had a Dexa scan done and they came up with a very different number. The Dexa scan said I was 24% body fat. Since that was sooooo different than the results I have had before I was trying to figure out where I was since I didn't know how accurate a Dexa scan was. So my dr scheduled me for a hydrostatic test (submersion test) which my dr told me was the gold standard and by far the most accurate even though my dr said the Dexa scan was most likely very accurate. So this morning I went and did my submersion test and sure enough my body fat came back at 24.3% so I guess the Dexa scan really was accurate and the other methods really really far off. 

So here is my question....

Why are the other methods so inaccurate? I spent a huge amount of money on the fancy scale and the hand held bod pod (electric current method) and even more money for the dietician to tape me or use the calipers. I mean that was even done by a staff member at the weight loss clinic. Shouldn't they know how to do it right? I was shocked at how different the number was. 

I guess I won't worry about being too thin ever again lol. 

Did anyone else have better results with those other methods or was I just crazy to have wasted all that extra money? I hate to think that all that money truly went for nothing.

I guess I would like to hear about other people's experiences.

Angel

HW/217 1st apt/202 SW/191 CW/115

1st goal:140 @9months

2nd goal:130 @11months

3rd goal:115 @16months  

SkinnyScientist
on 5/12/15 11:37 am

Hey Angel,

I have been researching this on and off with another gal.  None of the tests correlate with each other. 

Interestingly, I have about 14% by calipers.  Kaiser Permante's (sic) impedence machine says 22%.

Seeing that you also had 15% by calipers, I now know that I need to tack on 10% to that 14%...

It is annoying. I dont know if I spent as much as you, but I have shelled out around $30 bucks for my measurements.

Also, when in a pool, do you sink now?  I sink even with the floatation device in water aerobics.  But I really really do have a ton of flab on my thighs and lower tummy. This is kind of sad, cuz my body chose to "eat" my boobs before my thigh fat!  I would have liked it the other way...

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/12/15 9:57 pm - OH

Calipers are extremely inaccurate.  Just FYI, most female athletes still have a body fat percentage of about 18, so your 14% is definitely off. Way off.  Part of the problem with them is loose skin throws it off AND it depends on where they choose to measure.  You can carry a significant amount of fat but just not carry it in the places they choose to measure.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

SkinnyScientist
on 5/13/15 8:24 am

You can carry a significant amount of fat but just not carry it in the places they choose to measure.

Exactly!

Laura in Texas
on 5/12/15 11:50 am

Calipers and scales are very inaccurate. Underwater weighing, the Bod Pod, and Dexa scan are much more accurate.

The good thing about an at-home scale is that you can compare your values over time, even if they are inaccurate.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

angel91e
on 5/12/15 12:08 pm
RNY on 01/15/14

And thank you for the continued support and perspective. I feel better about some of the money spent on the scale of I can at least use it to help me see it as a general guideline of how much fat percentage I'm losing as I go along. Sorry for the two responses back to back 

Angel

angel91e
on 5/12/15 12:00 pm
RNY on 01/15/14

I would love to know how to get my body to eat my thighs but I haven't figured out how to do that yet either lol.....

Yeah I was really surprised to say the least. I was starting to do the math in my head and have spent a few hundred dollars over time on methods that weren't even accurate not to mention what I just spent on the Dexa scan and hydrostatic testing I just had done. 

I wish I knew ahead of time that there was such a margin for error. I knew I couldn't be as lean as the 15% because I need knee replacements so I haven't been able to do as many active things as I would like. I have started skating again even with my knees and have been pleased with that. It's more gentle than I gave it credit for.  I'm hoping that if I keep up with the dance skating maybe with time I can bring that fat percentage down some. I'm at my goal weight but still obviously have plenty of fat I could lose. I would love to be really athletic like I was as a young woman. I think it would give me the best chance at maintaining my weight long term. I really love how much better all the aspects of my health are at this lower weight.

I want more out of this surgery than to just wear juniors size clothes. I was a self pay so I didn't spend my entire savings just to end up a skinny fat person so I guess I now know what my next goals and challenges will be. 

I'm now even more impressed with the people who have gotten fit along the path of this journey. What a HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT! My hat is off to all of them as well as to all of those who manage to keep it off long term. I'm hoping with enough work I can be as successful

Angel

SkinnyScientist
on 5/12/15 1:09 pm

Do you skate on ice or roller?

Do you live anywhere close to D.C.?

If you are an ice skater, lets go!  If you are a roller skater, I am willing to drag out the inline skate and TRY not to kill myself for you.

Dont you just love how the air whips around you?  The closest thing I can imagine to flying!

Try not to feel so bad about the money spent. There are much worse ways to have spent it than on one's health (e.g. drugs, alcohol, scams, and etc). 

angel91e
on 5/13/15 1:40 pm
RNY on 01/15/14

I wish I did live closer but alas I am from the other Washington as in Washington State about a hour north of Seattle. However it's nice to see someone other than me with a life long love of skating. I grew up on roller skates but have done a fair amount of ice skating too over the years when a roller rink wasn't available though on ice skates I'm far from being all that coordinated. Who knew the feel could be so different.

Angel

SkinnyScientist
on 5/13/15 11:41 pm

FriendsK skates too.  One day, if we ever meet at a conference, we will have to have skate dates!

Most Active
Recent Topics