Doing great but, nervous

jackieboy331
on 5/13/15 3:10 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Hi everyone. I am 9 days post op. Today I started the puree' stage. I am following the protocols that my NUT gave out. I am nervous because, the liquid stage was fine, I had no issues and could drink the required amounts. Now I started the puree stage. I have no problem digesting and swallowing anything. Breakfast I had 2 oz. LF cottage cheese. Lunch I had 2 oz. canned salmon with a bit of LF mayo. All I have been hearing from people that they feel the food going down and they have pain etc. I feel nothing . I feel that I can eat a steak, no problem, of course I wont even attempt it. I am petrified of going back to old habits, since I don't feel any real restriction. I do not really feel hunger aside from head hunger or cravings. Am I nuts that I feel the surgery did not work correctly because I feel I should feel more pain or discomfort?

Maria27
on 5/13/15 8:30 am, edited 5/13/15 9:40 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Your nerves were cut, and they take time to start feeling again. I didn't start feeling discomfort when swallowing until one random day maybe a month after surgery.

To clarify, I only feel discomfort when swallowing large pills or eating things that are too dry like bread. 

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

pghgirl
on 5/13/15 3:35 pm

That is the first time I've heard that you should feel pain or discomfort when eating. That's not true. My sister and mom both don't feel anything either when they eat. I actually think it's NOT normal to feel pain when you eat. If I were you, I wouldn't worry. You're just fine and just keep doing what your NUT and surgeon tell you to do and you'll be fine. :)

HW:325, SW:281, CW:250

jackieboy331
on 5/13/15 4:27 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks

jackieboy331
on 5/13/15 4:28 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks

italianspice
on 5/13/15 4:26 pm - Eastlake, OH

I also had little feeling post op, did not feel hunger or felt full in the beginning. I made sure to measure every thing so I would not over do it. Then I started to notice that when I was getting full my nose would run or I would get the hiccoughs. I never had pain or discomfort from eating, sometimes if I would drink too fast, and that never lasted long.

Good luck. Follow your rules and trust the process.

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

jackieboy331
on 5/13/15 4:28 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/13/15 5:50 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

What you are feeling is completely normal -- this is why you must measure and not test your pouch out while you are healing.  We all have these fears.  Honest.  I did -- and I've lost 191 pounds.  

I never had any problems eating -- and only got the foamies a few times after starting solid food and eating too fast.  It sounds like you are healing well -- and that is a GOOD thing.  

You, not your pouch, has control of your habits.  Start building your confidence in making healthy choices.  Negative self-talk results in negative action.  You've got this friend!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Orygunfarmgirl
on 5/13/15 6:14 pm

I had the same feeling after my surgery until I tried to eat some beef. Suddenly I didn't feel well and my stomach hurt haven't tried that again! So I don't think some foods upset you much, but others will let you know. Good Luck.

SkinnyScientist
on 5/13/15 11:08 pm

" I feel that I can eat a steak, no problem, of course I wont even attempt it.."

Just to drive home the point: my cousin DID attempt with dangerous and painful results. He almost died...

With that said, I am glad you are doing well. MOST patients dont have problems. Of those that do, some do because they dont follow their plan.  DONT be one of those patients.

In summary, count yourself blessed and "Stick with the plan, Stan!"

:)

I love watching peoples journeys (especially those that keep pics)!!  I look forward to watching yours.

Success and good health to you!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 346 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 344 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 292 views
What's on your Monday Menu?