WHY are ppl getting frustrated with me in the revision group?

Jenniflower75
on 5/18/15 12:39 am

I had the VSG two years ago, I never lost near the weight I was supposed to and have gained most of it back. I want to have revision to RNY and the only two responses I got were negative. Can anyone tell me why DS is better than RNY? I don't understand. YOu would think that with me already having the sleeve that the RNY would work wonders without all of the severe risks of DS but still giving me malabsorption with the added benefit of dumping syndrom. DS you have to eat different than all other surgeries eating high fat to not lose too much which scares me cuz that can't be healthy for your heart and I'm a light weight. I only have 64 lbs to lose to be at the high end of normal weight range. My BMI is only 36.1... Please I need some advice and insight. Thank you

Grim_Traveller
on 5/18/15 1:41 am
RNY on 08/21/12

RNY won't do much for you that the sleeve can. Malabsorption is small and temporary with RNY, and chances are you won't dump. Even if you do dump, you'll figure out how much sugar you can eat to get away with it before dumping kicks in.

DS is more radical, and you'd malabsorb permanently. But you'd primarily malabsorb fat, and some protein. You'd absorb every single carb. You didn't regain from fat and protein, you regained from carbs. So, what would RNY or DS do for you? Once the honeymoon period was over, not a thing. Zip. Nada. As long as you eat carbs, you are going to gain weight, no matter what surgery you have. And being noncompliant with RNY or DS is going to leave you with serious vitamin deficiencies.

My advice is to work your sleeve. If you eat according to plan, you still have restriction. You'd have to cut out processed and starchy carbs with any surgery, so why not do it with the surgery you already have?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Karen M.
on 5/18/15 6:05 am - Mississauga, Canada

I have to disagree with you re. "RNY won't do much for you that the sleeve can". I've come to realize over the years that the type of surgery one gets should depend on the presenting issues. If you are strictly a volume over-eater, I think the sleeve is an excellent option. Despite my success with weight loss surgery (RNY) and the many lifestyle and mindset changes I've made over the past several years, I know that my body needed a total reset - the rerouting of my intestines did that as my metabolism and ability to lose anything was totally screwed after decades of yoyo dieting and ridiculous "diet plans" that I endured.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Grim_Traveller
on 5/18/15 7:21 am
RNY on 08/21/12

But her issue is not her metabolism. Her biggest issue is her refusal to recognize her eating is the problem. She blames everything but eating. She did lose more before regain. But until she addresses the issues behind eating, she won't lose, or keep it off. Even with a DS, she'll end up with the same problem she does now.

And studies show the sleeve to be as much of a metabolic reset as RNY. All she would be getting is temporary malabsorption, which I think she will just continue to eat around.

6'3" tall, male.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Karen M.
on 5/18/15 7:27 am - Mississauga, Canada

Oh, I don't disagree with any of your comments in her particular case. I should have clarified that.

But what do you make of those who have surgery and aren't successful at 2 years post-op yet do follow the plan? And without knowing what this lady is eating, how do we know she isn't following what she's supposed to be doing? She hasn't commented on her typical "diet".

Karen

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/18/15 7:41 am

if this post - she mentioned eating all the wrong things...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 5/18/15 7:48 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I read through her blog. She blames lack of exercise because of fybromyalgia, weight gain from depression meds, etc etc. She admits to eating lots of crap, but thank goodness it's nothing carbonated.

Hey, I obviously don't know anything about her, and maybe another surgery could help. But she needs to do lots of other work first. She also has a husband who is also looking at a revision. I think there's just too much denial, and hoping for a magic bullet.

6'3" tall, male.

Karen M.
on 5/19/15 4:39 am - Mississauga, Canada

Ahhhh.... I see. I didn't read through previous posts/blog entries. Duly noted. ;)

Karen

DoryAnne2
on 5/18/15 12:32 pm
RNY on 04/01/13

Karen, I have to agree with you that I also felt having the RNY totally "reset" my body.  I wanted and needed something extreme, and I'm thankful that so far, it seems that my metabolism is working much more normally now.  I do exercise every day (walking an average of 3 miles and some hand weights), and although my calorie intake has increased in the 2+ years I've had my surgery, I'm still easily maintaining my 110+ weight loss.  Pre-surgery, I had to KILL myself to lose a pound and would regain it in what seemed like one large meal.   It still seems to me that the RNY surgery has the most success in people losing their excess weight quickly and safely.  

HW:  268    SW:  255    GW:155    CW:  158

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE AREN'T THINGS.

RNY Surgery on 4/1/13   with Dr. Gohil

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/18/15 3:48 am

Most likely because you can outeat any surgery. 

There are a lot of people who had RNY and gained back. 

If you still have functioning sleeve, why not try to work that.

You mentioned "clean eating"...what do you mean by that? If i eat too many carbs (even so called healthy carbs - like in fruits, or starches - i.e grains, beans) i would gain weight. 

Plus too many calories, even from "good"diet - makes me gain weight. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics