Curly hair!?!!

crazy4birds
on 6/15/15 2:19 pm, edited 6/15/15 8:40 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

I am 6 mos out now and my hair has been falling out so I decided to cut it even shorter (had it cut shoulder length at 3 mos).  Had my hairstylist cut it into a short shag and my hair is curly now.  So happy about this cause I usually have to perm if I want any sort of wave in my hair. Crazy the things our bodies go through.  Also noticing my glasses aren't making things as clear as they used to so either my eyes are getting better or worse. 

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130 

NYMom222
on 6/15/15 7:14 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

One of the women in my support group said her hair came back curlier when it grew back...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

SkinnyScientist
on 6/16/15 7:13 am

MIne did too!  Like all along the bottom. I used to have stick straight hair and now I got this weird straight and curly mix. I have mixed feelings as I like having some poof to my hair, but now with all this humidity it is really starting to curl and LEVITATE!!!  

I thought it was because I was getting old. Guess it was the surgery.

Also, my eyes have changed from brown to greenish brown.  My little sister noticed and asked, "When did you get green contacts?" and I was stunned!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

ladygodiva1228
on 6/16/15 10:26 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Hate to break it to ya Skinny, but the surgery had nothing to do with the eye changes.  Aging and medical conditions (eye diseases) are the cause of people's eyes to change color. 

Changes in Eye Color

The iris is a muscle that expands and contracts to control pupil size. The pupil enlarges in dimmer lighting and grows smaller in brighter lighting. The pupil also shrinks when you focus on near objects, such as a book you are reading.

When the pupil size changes, the pigments in the iris compress or spread apart, changing the eye color a bit.

Certain emotions can change both the pupil size and the iris color. That's why some people say their eyes change colors when they're angry or loving.

Eye color also can change with age. This happens in 10 to 15 percent of the Caucasian population (people who generally have lighter eye colors).

For instance, my once very brown eyes are now hazel, a combination of brown and green. However, some hazel eyes actually get darker with age.

Note that if your adult eye color changes pretty dramatically, or if one eye changes from brown to green or blue to brown (called heterochromia), it's important to see your eye doctor. Eye color changes can be a warning sign of certain diseases, such as Fuch's heterochromic iridocyclitis, Horner's syndrome or pigmentary glaucoma.

Ultimately, if you don't like the eye color you inherited, you can always change it with colored contact lenses. But remember, even colored contact lenses are a prescription medical device and must be prescribed and monitored by an eye doctor. Don't buy them over the Internet or get them from a friend without having an eye doctor's prescription!

Laura in Texas
on 6/16/15 12:07 pm

Yep. My dad's also changed from brown to hazel. Doctor told him it was normal aging.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

SkinnyScientist
on 6/16/15 12:33 pm

OMG! I did not know that!  Thank you for posting. I wiil also go to my eye doc and ask about these diseases.  I havent been there in over a year and these color changes just popped up!

Thank you so much!  Even if it turns out to be nothing, I am glad it is on the radar!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

aesposito
on 6/15/15 7:26 pm

I always had curly hair that I had to beat into submission every morning.  Now nearly 4 years post RNY, I look like Little Orphan Annie.  When I had my gall bladder out last month, the surgery nurse told me she envied my curls.  I told her lose 180 pounds and a lot of hair, and she could have the same.

It may also have to do with the fact that a lot of my hair came back gray, and gray hair is more coarse (and thus more curly) than non-gray.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

crazy4birds
on 6/15/15 8:38 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

I don't know what it is but I like it. 

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130 

crazy4birds
on 6/15/15 8:39 pm
RNY on 12/02/14
Cooter N.
on 6/15/15 9:25 pm

I am thinking about going shorter too. I have an angled bob but I am 4 months out and losing alot of hair. My mom says just cut it and layer it up. Het one of those haircuts i have always been too chicken to get. I am afraid mine will come in gray but a few curls wouldnt be bad. Sounds like you are just trucking right along either way.

Surgery 2/3/15 Band to RNY Hw:272 CW:262   

Most Active
Recent Topics