Malabsorbtion Question

Another Fatone
on 6/14/15 4:31 pm - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

I am on Protonix and Carafate before meals and before bed. I am on them permanently.

Question: Do I have more malabsorbtion as a result of taking Protonix and Carafate?

Thank you.

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

peachpie
on 6/14/15 6:01 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

What's caused you to be on them permanently?

I can only speak to the carafate, I was on it post op. It coats the stomach to prevent/treat ulcers. Since attention occurs in the intestines, I can't imagine the carafate would make malabsorbtion worse. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/14/15 6:06 pm - OH

No. Both of those act primarily on the lining of the stomach, and do not affect the ability of the villi in the intestines to absorb nutrients.  The carafate acts locally on the lining of the stomach (rather than getting absorbed by the intestine and then having a systemic action in the body p), so it can affect absorption of drugs that are primarily absorbed in the stomach, though.

You are on Carafate permanently??  I am not a doctor, but usually that is given short term only for healing of an existing ulcer, not on an ongoing basis for prevention of new ones (so it would be unusual to be on it continuously).  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Another Fatone
on 6/14/15 6:30 pm - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Hi Lora

Protonix reduces acid so I thought that would have an effect on digestion since acid is a digestive fluid if you will.

My stomach is no longer plumbed into my digestive tract. I have a small pouch since I had a RNY. So there is not much to coat and with the small hole out of the pouch some of the Carafate must go the the intestines. Much absorption does occur in the intestines.

I take aspirin for heart stents. I take Xarelto for a-fib. I had 2 MIs on Coumadin so I was switched to Xarelto. Dr Kim says if I get a bleeding ulcer it could be fatal. There is no antidote for Xarelto. The Carafate is preventative as is the Protonix.

Thanks for the info.

PS: I am out 2 years and down 118 lbs.

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 358 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 335 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 294 views