Anyone been to the National Conference before? Question -

Susanb2117
on 6/21/15 4:37 am

I would love to go to the National Conference in October because I don't live too far away, but I would be attending by myself.  Has anyone ever gone alone? or is it more of a group thing?  I don't want be feeling lost and alone all weekend, LOL.  Is it worth going?  Any experiences from someone who has attended would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Navychic
on 6/21/15 6:16 am
RNY on 02/09/15

Im also planning on going, also don't live too far away (Va), and also may be alone, im trying to convince another girl to go but its not in stone yet, Id love to meet just to have a peer to chat /do lunch with.  I really don't think my DH & 5 yr old would be at all entertained, lol.  Ill send you a friend request.  I am only planning on being there Sat & Sun.

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

Susanb2117
on 6/21/15 9:52 am

I would like that too!  There is nothing going on Sunday correct?  I may just stay for Fri and Sat and leave after the last seminar on Saturday.  Still deciding :)

Susanb2117
on 6/21/15 4:35 pm

I accepted your friend request and send you a message.  I haven't used the messaging before, hopefully you get it and I see the response LOL.  Booked my hotel, you all gave me the confidence to just go.  Hopefully we can meet up!

selhard
on 6/21/15 6:27 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

If I lived not too far away, I'd wonder the same things but would plan to go, not because I've gone before (which I haven't) but because new experiences like a national conference would help keep my head in the game of WLS success or even rive it up notch.  Some WLSers have fixed their problem, adapted a new lifestyle, and have moved on without looking back.  I hope to get there some day, but til then I spend a fair amount of time and effort making for a better life than my SSMO past.  If you "got this," then consider attending as an inspiration to those there who are still paddling upstream.  If you don't feel you "got this," then consider attending to get inspired by those that do.  Win, win either way :)

Susanb2117
on 6/21/15 9:51 am

Thanks. Great advice.  I hope to never totally feel like I've "got this" because then I might become lax.  I want to learn and keep learning as much as I can.  You are right, it can only be helpful to go!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/21/15 9:49 pm - OH

FWIW, I went several years ago when it was in Cincinnati and although I went by myself there were a couple of people that I knew who were also attending.  I met some people I "knew" from here on OH, but my overall experience was that most people went with people they already knew and tended to mostly hang together.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Susanb2117
on 6/22/15 5:20 am

Thanks.  That is what I figured.  I was thinking of just going for the seminars and not really attending the "social events."  Did you find that it was worth the time/money for the seminars?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/22/15 3:20 pm - OH

Some were good, some were just so-so.  The evening activity with the fashion show was actually the highlight...

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

kbmerritt84
on 6/22/15 6:58 am
with

Im coming from VA and right now, I will likely be alone.  We can meet up.

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 301 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 326 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 281 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 447 views