Foods you can and can't eat...

AngelaLynn11
on 7/8/15 8:19 pm

I have a lapband but am considering revision to a bypass.  My weight loss has not been significant and I have other physical complications with the band.  My physician already said he will do it and I am a good candidate.  I'm choosing between the RNY bypass or a sleeve.  I'm leaning toward the bypass. 

The thread that had everyone's meal plan for the day was very helpful in seeing what exactly you can eat with this type of with loss surgery. 

Here are some questions:

Can you eat candy, cake or ice cream?  Like if at a party and want a slice of cake...is that possible?  Would it be terrible (physically) to have a Hershey kiss or a few M&Ms?  Would I never be able to eat my mom's famous lemon meringue pie every again?  I already eat low carb so my actual daily plan would be healthy so I'm wondering about those special occasions. 

How is artificial sweeteners tolerated?

Can you drink at the same time you eat or is there a waiting time like with the lapband?

Can you take Advil or Aspirin?  I need to take an anti-inflammatory like Advil from time to time.

Thanks for all your helpful info so far! 

MickeyDee
on 7/8/15 10:43 pm

For the NSAIDS problem, I'd recommend the sleeve.  It's no fun not being able to deal with arthritis without them.  As you age and your joints wear out, you'll appreciate the ability to use them.

As to the question of sweets and candy;  that is something you have to deal with.  You know how you got to the stage of needing WLS.  Do you want to destroy your future over a bit of candy or cake?

For myself, I use Stevia or Truvia, not wanting to use overly chemical sweetners.  You really need to be aware of sugar alcohols which can cause massive farts.

I wait for a while after eating before I drink, even after 10 years.

JA
on 7/9/15 3:38 am - East Haven, CT

Hello,

My expereince has been that the RNY bypass is the most successful.  As far as what you can eat, you can just about eat anything once you get to a certain point after surgery.  I'm almost 11 yrs out, but I must WARN you, you will gain your weight back if you choose to eat sugar.  That is one of the foods that will pile your weight back on immediately.  Do I eat an occasional piece of candy, yes.  Cake and I still are not friends as it hurts, so it's not that important to me.  What is important is losing he weight and being able to maintain it.  Best of luck to you.

AmyDee123
on 7/9/15 5:27 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

I just went through the revision from Lapband to RNY.  I could not be happier!  I chose RNY because I had reflux and GERD, and also I wanted the "gold standard" for weight loss.  I also like that it keeps me from eating the foods that got me to this point.  Yes, eventually you can eat most foods, but if you are choosing a surgery based on what bad foods you still want to hang onto you will want to go to a therapist and talk about your relationship with food before going under the knife again.

As for your questions:

Can you eat candy, cake or ice cream?  Like if at a party and want a slice of cake...is that possible?  Would it be terrible (physically) to have a Hershey kiss or a few M&Ms?  Would I never be able to eat my mom's famous lemon meringue pie every again?  I already eat low carb so my actual daily plan would be healthy so I'm wondering about those special occasions.   First question is why would you want to?  Its what got you to where you are, and most likely part of why you have been unsuccessful with the band.  Yes, eventually you can eat anything, but I use the threat of dumping as a great deterrent to eating anything off plan.   

How is artificial sweeteners tolerated?  I use splenda in my iced tea and I use crystal light which is full of art. sweetener.  

Can you drink at the same time you eat or is there a waiting time like with the lapband?  You should have a 30 minute buffer before and after you food, as is with VSG and the Lapband.

Can you take Advil or Aspirin?  I need to take an anti-inflammatory like Advil from time to time.  My doctor says I can take an anti inflammatory no more than once a month.  If you need it more often than that you need to discuss things with your doctor.  But you are supposed to already have that info since you have the band.  

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

AngelaLynn11
on 7/9/15 9:04 am

Thanks so much AmyDee for being frank.  I appreciate frankness :) 

I am a realist and so need to address all possibilities.  We live in a society that revolves around food.  My extended family life revolves around food.  My immediate family life does not (new lessons learned from my husband).  Currently my band does prevent me from eating certain foods.  Threats of painful stuck food keeps me from eating rice, pasta, and full breads and sometimes even crackers.  This dumping would definitely help but I know the choices are ultimately left up to me. 

The lack of Advil worries me some but I will discuss this with the doc.  Perhaps my issues that need Advil won't be issues anymore! 

Angela 

~Banded 7/2007, removal and revision needed.

HW 325; Lap-band 2007; LW 225; GW: 150

AmyDee123
on 7/9/15 9:51 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

I used to deal with bad hips and knees.  I will say that since I have been losing weight i have not needed any advil or aleve.  I have been pain free in my hips for the past week completely!

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

Kathyjs
on 7/9/15 6:29 am

Red flag :-) the LAST thing I thought about pre op was what I could eat . I wish you the best whatever your decision 

chulbert
on 7/9/15 7:05 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

The question about sweets is asked often and it makes me anxious because it can suggest someone may not have the right mindset; however, the answer to your question is that everything you listed is probably not going to kill you.  Individuals tolerate sweets differently and it often changes over time so nobody can say for sure where you'll end up.  I'm not overly sensitive to sweets but I'd never sit down with the same size piece of pie that you'd serve a normal person.

RNY has no real bearing on the tolerance of artificial sweeteners.

You should not eat and drink at the same time.  Specific rules vary by surgeon but the general guidance is to wait at least 30 minutes to drink after eating food.

NSAIDs are universally discouraged.

Maria27
on 7/9/15 7:38 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

As far as eating sweets goes, I limit myself to three bites. I have been good so far because I don't know if more might make me sick and I'm not anxious to find out. I had five M&Ms once, but usually I don't find this kind of stuff worth it anymore. Usually entering it into myfitnesspal makes me decide I don't want it anymore. My rule is that anything high in carbs is not worth it unless it is really delicious. Luckily for me, it is very rare that I have the opportunity to eat something that is very delicious but high in carbs. I've realized over the years that I didn't really like most of the things that I used to mindlessly eat, so now I make sure to think really hard about whether or not something is worth eating before putting it in my mouth.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

TheNewT
on 7/9/15 8:04 am
VSG on 08/04/14

I had VSG in August 2014 and my sleeve is fickle as can be. For instance, the salmon burger I had this morning did a number on my belly. Eggs were very friendly in the beginning but now, they are the enemy. So these are great proteins that turn my body upside-down. For me, any food protein or sugar (hell, even water) can be tricky. 

I do not eat while I drink. I wait 1 hour after my last bite to begin drinking water.

My doctor didn't restrict Advil or Aspirin.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 312 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 91 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 91 views