Food Diary

Deby4fsu
on 7/30/15 6:28 am

I need a convenient online food diary tailored to gastric bypass patients. What do you use?

Felicity Q.
on 7/30/15 7:12 am
DS on 09/28/15

What feature were you looking for that is tailored to RNY patients?

I've been using MyFitnessPal and although it's intended for a general audience, you can modify your goals for calories then adjust your % between Protein, Fat, and Carbs.  The phone app is great - you can scan items like you would at the grocery store... and their database of foods is humongous!

You just need to ignore the daily "You should eat 1k+ calories per day" message when you complete your daily entry. :)

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

Deby4fsu
on 7/30/15 7:40 am

You are talking about exactly what I meant when you mentioned to "ignore" ... I was hoping for an app or program that is geared towards our special needs. However, I'll check out MyFitnessPal. Thanks for the answer.

TimeForMe61
on 7/30/15 7:44 am - Lancaster, PA
RNY on 01/22/15

Myfitnesspal!  I use it on my computer and my phone and religiously enter everything that goes in my mouth.

Auntb15
on 7/30/15 7:48 am

Question about my fitness pal how do you change like your serving sizes to like 1 oz I don't understand how too do it

mschwab
on 7/30/15 11:16 am
RNY on 11/21/14

The foods in the database have a serving size and generally a drop down box that will give you other options.  You may have to look at a few entries to find appropriate serving sizes (e.g., one entry may have the sizes in cups while another one has it in ounces).  Then you will need to adjust the amount to reflect what you ate.  For example, if the serving size is four ounces, and you ate one, change the amount to .25.  Hope that helps.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

kaniky
on 7/30/15 8:21 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I use the app call Lose It.  It has a scanner to read bar codes off of foods and allows you to add your recipes.  I'm sure it's a lot like myfitnesspal, I just happened to find it first. 

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

boxtop2006
on 7/30/15 11:36 am
RNY on 03/24/15

I don't think there is one specifically for WLS patients.  Most of us use MFP and just ignore the parts that don't pertain to us.  We know it's ok that we didn't eat 1200+ calories so it doesn't bother us when it won't post our menu to our page.  We can still go back and look at it, we still have the reports (we have access to everything we need).  The best part is, it makes you accountable for the food you put in your body!  Good Luck!

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/30/15 1:28 pm

Not sure if you know - but you can modify the calories, and other items on a regular website (not mobile app).  Really useful for me when i am trying meet my personal goals for proteins. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

boxtop2006
on 7/30/15 6:35 am, edited 7/30/15 6:36 am
RNY on 03/24/15

Thanks H.a.l.a.  I have adjusted my calories, fats, sugars, carbs and protiens. When I first had my surgery I had read a post Grim had wrote and started that immediately.  I think it really helps and make us take responsibility for what we eat.  I was mainly talking about when you try to close out the day and it tells you since you didn't eat 1200+ calories for the day as "medically suggested" it will not post your meal plan for the day.  It doesn't bother me because I know that at this point in my journey I can't eat 1200 calories unless of course I am eating the WAY wrong foods. LOL  Thanks for the input though!  Hope you have a wonderful day!!!

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 278 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 321 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 276 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 441 views